Suds | Season 1, Episode 3

[Last time on Suds, Shantel managed to slide back into the arms of her boyfriend, Terrance, even after an attempt to hook her ex, Darien. Will Terrance's love for Shantel be enough to stop her from slipping? Meanwhile, who is Leilah?]

LEILAH trotted along the perimeter of the nursing home with the chubby toddler sliding out of her grasp.

"I'm cold, Lily," the little girl cried.
"I know, TuTu, we're almost there."
Leilah used her foot to press the handicap button. The heavy door slowly groaned open while Leilah forced it the rest of the way with her back and rushed to open the other door.

Spring doesn't exist in Chicago. She put her little sister down inside the warm foyer. Then, Leilah plucked her gloves off, stuffed them into her coat pocket, and unwrapped the little one's layers.

The stale warm air reminded her of the mountain of dirty laundry she promised to wash before returning to school the next day. Tuilette wiggled away from Leilah and waddled over to the front desk.

"I want to write. It's my turn."

Leilah followed. "TuTu, you can write in your book at home." Leilah finished signing the visitor log.

"But I want to write in that book," Tuilette shouted, folding her tiny arms across her chest.

Leilah gauged the determination level of her youngest sister. Although the little monster grew out of her terrible twos, Leilah learned the hard way that the threes were no more pleasant.

She handed her the pen, lifted her to the desk, and watched her scribble a large 'T' on backside of the log.
Tuilette, what kind of a name is that?

Leilah rolled her eyes as she remembered her mother's unshakable decision to name the child after a toilet.
"It's not a toilet,' her mother argued, 'It's a type of perfume."
The poor girl didn't even have the luxury of saying her mom was high at the time. Their mother was sober and insistent. She was even thinking straight enough to have her tubes tied, and Leilah was grateful. The last thing she needed was another butt to wipe. Seven were plenty.

~

The pleasant smile on SHANTEL's lips hid the contempt she hid in her heart for Terrance. Since he dropped the L-bomb, he wouldn't let her out of his sight. Shantel's last two days of schemes to get closer to Darien were all fruitless thanks to Terrance's annoying overflow of affection.
She leaned into Terrance's one-armed embrace, staring at the metal ridges of the baggage claim belt.

From the corner of her eye, she could see Darien huddled with others from their group. Shantel gritted her teeth. She wasted so much time having private chats with each of the twelve people in their travel group. Still, she couldn't steal a minute with Darien.

She leaned into Terrance's hug and wrapped her arms around his waist. He kissed her forehead, and she smiled. Still, she hated him for getting in the way of her heart.

The baggage claim was no better. Waiting was the worst. The belt alarm droned like it was about to die and the red light flashed. Shantel sprinted around the belt pass the cluster of semi-friends.

"What time does your train leave tomorrow, D?" someone asked. Shantel slowed down with Terrance still a few feet behind.
"I'm on the morning train. I think it's the 9:35," he answered.

Shantel plotted, keeping her mischievous smile hidden from Terrance as he trailed behind her.

Perfect. I'll tell Terrance I have to get back to campus early to study. Then, I'll book a seat on Darien's train. We'll be back together by the time we get to Carbondale, and I'll break it off with Terrance tomorrow night.

She called Terrance over her shoulder. "That's my bag right there, Baby." Her skin tingled with excitement.

~

The elevator doors opened on the third floor and the putrid smell slammed into her, making her eyes water. LEILAH waved at the bored nurses and walked down the hall to find her grandmother.

The stench of stale urine grew stronger as they neared an area where bins of soiled bedding sat outside rooms that were being turned. TuTu pinched her nose and ran to Grandma's room, pushing open the unlocked door.

"Hey Toilet Paper," Grandma mused. Her raspy voice rolled. "Come here let me wipe my behind."

"I'm not a toilet paper," Tuilette yelled with her hands propped on her hips. "My name is TuTu."

"Whatever your name is, Chile. Come give Mama a hug." Grandma laughed out loud, lifting the chubby brown girl into her arms.

TuTu giggled.

"Where is your Auntie Lisa? She come see about Mama, too?" Grandma glanced up at Leilah standing in the doorway. Her face hardened and her eyes turned blacker than coal.

"You got some nerve coming here," she growled.

Leilah blinked back hurt. "I always visit you, Grandma."

Her grandmother dropped TuTu on the bed and made slow, deliberate steps toward Leilah. Her harsh tone grated against Leilah's skin.

"Didn't I tell you to leave that child with Lisa?"
"What are you talking about, Ma?" Leilah inched back.

Grandma's voice thundered, "Sheila, I told you to stay away from them kids!"

Please don't forget to vote!!
🌺