The Invitation

"Dylan. There's a rule that every good boys in this household abide to- the door at the end of the hallway must never be opened. You are a good boy, no?"

"But why Father?"

"Son, a good boy never ask questions. Don't question authority again." His Father's glare was the only message Dylan needed. No words was uttered afterwards but it left a lasting number of questions in Dylan's part.

"Sir Dylan. Wake up, Sir Dylan." With the feeling of his stiff jaw and dry mouth, he lazily opens his eye.

"What is it Marie?"

"This invitation was sent earlier, My Lord." Marie slips out a black envelope with a striking blood red seal. A flash of recognition shines in his eye but immediately concealed it from the stranger in front of him.

"Thank you, Marie. Please leave." The maid immediately complies to her Lord's command and left the room quietly, silence once again filling the room.

Dylan's eyebrows furrowed as his eye continues to trail down until the signature. He sighs with his hands slump by his side.

"Things are really turning for the worse. I wonder who died now?"

--~~--

The day of the funeral came and Dylan, who quietly sits alone in the farthest corner from the casket, stares intently at every person in the room. The cloudy weather did not hinder his eagle-like sight to catch the person he is looking for.

As the last hymn is played, Dylan stands from his corner and approaches the breathtaking beauty he kept staring at before. He bowed in homage to one of the most influential people in the Kingdom.

"Your Majesty, my Queen Livia." A small smile graces in Livia's thin lips to see one of her trusted official.

"Dylan, you do know that I don't require you to act formal in front of me."

"I do, your Majesty but as your servant I have to show you this much respect." A lovely hum comes from Livia as she continues to examine Dylan.

"You haven't been sleeping very well, yes?" No answer was mumbled, "Would you enlighten me with what your problems are."

"I dare not, your Majesty."

"I see. Pray tell, what is happening with my daughter-in-law she hasn't sent me a single letter for almost a month."

"She's doing well." Dylan answers instantly but his face shows slight annoyance which only Livia can see. A light chuckle is heard from her and Livia has to turn her head away to hide her blushing cheeks.

"You haven't changed since you were little. Your eyes always tell the opposite of what you are saying." Livia comments after calming herself. "Now tell me, what did my son do now?" Dylan's hands balls at the memory of disasters during Elliot's visits.

"It's only the same, your Majesty." After a short silence, Livia sighs in exhaustion.

"Why am I not surprised. The two seems to grow distant since Adelaide's death." With he very mention of the name, Dylan's eyebrows furrowed.

"Oh my, oh my, I seem to have brought up a sensitive topic haven't I?" Dylan shuts his eye to stop the itching feeling to glare at Livia.

"Pardon me, your Majesty." Dylan mutters and turns to leave.

"My dear Dylan, everything is all fun and games until the truth will cause your demise. Be careful." Livia warns as she takes a sip of her tea. Dylan remains rooted in his spot, aware of this blood chilling warning.

Nobles after nobles pay respect to the lonely casket, tears streaming from their dead eyes.

"There's no one there." He states. Not questioning or uncertain for he already knew too well the part of her scheme.

"Believe what you want to believe in Dylan but I don't know what you are talking about." She answers innocently but her grim smile answers it all.

After hearing that, Dylan strides out of the funeral with more questions he needs to answer.

"Your Majesty, Lord Dylan already left." An attendant says.

"Oh? Laurence." Livia calls and immediately a handsome dark skinned man emerges from behind her.

"Yes, your Majesty?"

"Do you think that Dylan will ever open the door at the end of the hallway?"

"Only time will tell, your Majesty." Laurence answers curtly.

"Really, time moves slowly." Livia sighs as she puts the teacup down, "I wonder how the family will be once that door is opened."

"Your Majesty, if I may be so brazen I believe that everyone is aware except Lady Adalyn."

"Ah yes- my little puppet. However, it seems that she is slowly cutting her strings from me." Livia states sadly, "This is not good. Puppets must not have a mind of it's own."

"Your Majesty-"

"Shh. Let's just watch how this will eventually turn out." Laurence stares at the purple haired beauty, wanting to argue more but decided against it. Who was he to stand between fate?

Laurence