29.1 Take a Hint

"I am done, Hayden," Ashwant admitted, a look of vexation crossing his face, "I can't take it anymore."

A storm of anguish brewed in my stomach having this conversation with him. The following months of May and mid-June had gone by with absolutely no progress. Almourah's devastating portrayal of violence never stopped. Nazira and I had gone through the details over and over again- same words, same drill, her temper starting to show as well, but neither of us were able to figure out which great detail was going to give a hint regarding his weakness.

The healing process had been consistent. Gaining a fine treatment from Ashwant helped me bounce back, giving me a clean bill of health. But after spending more than three months in this cave, juggling between life and death, and doing nothing but breathing, eating and recovering from death, lately, I started to develop a low-grade fever and had been suffering from sore joints.

I'd been trying to keep pace with Ashwant for so long, having my senses dulled by his remarks. But today things seemed to be changing. His persistent complaining and putting pressure on me to get back to Dakshinpur was driving me up the wall. Nazira, during my original trip to Parallel Universe, had been indecisive as well. But then she had pulled herself together, coming in terms that keeping company with each other would help finish the job in time. But Ashwant was being borderline irresolute. He had his reasons though, and that was holding me back from bursting out. Blaming him would only spoil our friendship.

"I have to look after my clan as well," he continued. "I told you they need me. I'm worried about them."

He concluded the conversation with the note of disappointment with me. I let out a tired sigh and quickly tried to come to a decision. In the given situation, the solution for it that I had in mind was the best way to overcome this problem. Almourah was the only one I needed to put up with. Not with a friend who was being terrible, nagging wife at the moment.

I scrubbed my greasy face and scratched my chin speckled with uneven dirty stubble, "You should go," I said, "Alone."

Ashwant, who was as untidy as me, gaped aghast. "Are you saying you want to stay here all by yourself? Are you out of your mind?"

"You said I was out of my mind when I declared war. Maybe you don't know me too well but I have been out my mind even before that. Things never change with me, alright? I only wish you to get used to it but I guess that's never gonna happen."

He scrunched his face. "It's perfectly alright to accept failure and take a step back."

"That's such a convenient statement meant for one's satisfaction. Similar to, the sun rises in the east, heck, but we all know it's a whopper of a lie. And I'm not taking a step back when I've come this far to save my friend and this country."

"But there is no progress. We are stuck here. It's all because of your psychotic, stubborn attitude. Maybe we can go back and think of something better..."

"Ashwant, I'll be fine," I said, pressing my eyes shut, keeping my voice low, "You need a breath of fresh air, I understand that. Go and have a check on your clan. And if I'm not able to live here by myself, I'll send a word through mind connection. Pruthvi and Leena are trying to contact me so it is working. I'll inform them, alright? You can come back, that is only if you want to."

He stared at me for a moment and stood up. Unable to make up his mind, he walked here and there thinking profoundly. "I can't do that. I want you to come with me or else..."

I looked up, keeping my face expressionless although there was a pressure building up from inside. "We don't have a choice. You don't want to stay here and I don't want to return. Because I swear nothing good will come out of it. I'd just be detained and thrown in jail without even a trial. I'd be useless anyway. So it's better I stay here and keep trying."