26.2 On the Nod

"What happened there?" Doctor asked.

His voice was shaky with fury, gazing hard at Celina who was absorbed in her own thoughts.

No matter how annoyed she was, the voices that she had heard grating on her nerves, language so bizarre, something at the back of her head told to let it go. The past was gone and over. This is their generation. The generation that has the capacity to define their own movements. Yet, the tears of guilt and anger welled up at the corner of her eyes. She sat rigid on the stone, staring blankly into space, having a hand involuntarily caressing the other. Blisters have started to pop on the burnt skin all around her Moonstone and upper right arm. It felt prickly and being a Samagraha did not help the sensation go away.

"You were almost there, Celina," Doctor said, trying to be polite, "Only if you were a little bit careful, perhaps we would be returning home victorious. Too bad we've lost a lot of time, the month of the Fest is over, and...tell me, what happened there?"

She blinked, obviously startled. "I heard voices."

He paused for a moment. "Another Haima's magic."

She looked up imploringly and kept her attention out of the beast crawling outside the maw of the tunnel. "This is something I did not know. Shaytan Rup could have died if Haimavati wanted to?"

The revelation burst forth like a rocket overhead. Doctor's face was covered with blood and sweat, but it did not veil the look of surprise surfacing in his face. "Is that what you heard?"

"Yes!" She replied, a tear dropping down and voice getting wobbly. "I don't know what and how but it was definitely two different voices of two different women, calling each other by Haima and Endira. And they were arguing ...over the charm that was laid on my stone."

His unblinking stare made her believe that he was trying to take in the fact. "What did you really hear?" He asked.

She gritted her teeth so hard that her jaw ached. "Is it not Shaytan's nature, that if Haima desired, he could have gladly destroyed himself? The only thing he needed was her nod. Just one nod, one single wish from her. But that woman was keen on protecting him."

"So it is true."

"You knew?" Her heart ached with anger gripping her.

"There was no confirmation," he replied, lowering his voice, "Even I'm acting on my hunch and taking necessary risks. If Naag doesn't know, I wouldn't know. We are getting to know these myths together."

"Why? Why did she protect him?" Celina bellowed, "She planned to send him to Parallel universe during this month of Fest and created all those stupid games so that a Cornelian user couldn't hunt him down? What was the need to plan so much?"

Doctor replied in the affirmative. "Even if she wanted Shaytan dead, it wouldn't have happened without getting encountered with the magical fire. Her acceptance would only boost support for a Cornelian user."

"I'm really starting to hate this woman," Celina said, her face contorting and the slight wind blowing in the tunnel, "thank god she's dead otherwise....and now I know that Endira parted ways with her because of her stupid decision of letting him live."

"Don't get into a conclusion without knowing the facts," Doctor said, with a slight quiver in his voice that made her notice his nervousness, "It was Almourah who made you aware of this. How can you believe in him?"

"You did consider this possibility, didn't you?"

Doctor stayed mum and let her speak.