In Which Martin Has Secrets Too

still Monday, still in the creative room

When Margot left to get lunch with the Diaper account guy, Martin took his earbuds out and rubbed his eyes. Of course, he'd heard everything. Just because he'd been communing with his muse in his mental palace, didn't mean it was soundproof.

People are so dumb, he thought.

Did he care that Margot was going to make some extra cash by moonlighting on Diapers? Hells to the no.

Did he care that she was going to do it without telling David? Not really. He didn't care much for David at all. David was a tick embedded in Niall's ass, getting bigger and fatter with every suck. David was obscenely, transparently in unrequited bro-love with Niall, which would have made him straightforwardly pitiful if he wasn't also such a prick to work for.

Still, in Martin's estimation, David was preferable to that Berry guy, for whom Martin held a deep, abiding well of dislike. Something about him just rubbed Martin the wrong way. Maybe it was how he was always mooching around Margot, sucking on mints and looking like a dumb puppy.

Now, look at him. Choosing Margot for the extra hours (of course) and leaving Martin out in the cold. It was a personal affront. Did he think Margot was going to do the art AND the copy? Well, she might actually. She was pretty amazing.

He didn't want extra hours anyway.

Nah, he wouldn't say anything to anyone, Martin decided.

He could keep a secret.

Like what he'd heard in Allegra's office Friday night. Nobody needed to know about that either. At least not until he could figure out how to make it worth something.