Twenty Four

I've been at Saint Matthew's Hospital's cafeteria at least once since I was admitted here a month ago. It was a spacious area with a tall glass window facing half of the parking lot and main street. Rather than seeing the dull white tables and chairs scattered around the area, it was replaced with tall tables and sparking led light hanging up like stars in the light. There were garlands and bouquets of flowers placed decoratively around the venue. The event scream like a high school prom setting rather than a charity event.

"This is nice," I remarked as Sebastian and I entered the main entrance.

A lot of the guest were already present, mingling with acquaintance. As I made a quick assessment of the major for the guests, and the formal attire wore most of the men, I guest as much they were here for business rather than pleasure.

"Are you sure it's merely a casual charity event?"

Sebastian snorted. "Did I tell you it was casual?" He countered.

"No. You didn't." I cleared my throat. "Was it really a good idea I came with you?" I was in doubt yet again when I eavesdrop of a conversation between a med-student and an administrative staff (from the tone of their discussion).

"Of course, Jane. We are encouraged to bring outsiders to change the mood." He lightly teased.

"And I'm supposed to help you out with that?" I inquired dryly.

"No, you're not. But it'll make me feel better if you're actually enjoying at least a portion of this event," he offered and nodded in the direction of the buffet table. "The food would be great, I assure you."

I smirked and nudge him in that direction. "You hope it is because I don't do much mingling, especially with strangers."

"You can't be that bad, Jane."

I peered up and met his gaze. "Are you sure?" I challenged.

He stared at me for a second and nodded. "Yeah, you're right. It's best I stick with you for the rest of the night."

"Oh, you better, Dr. Malcolm or I won't be going with you to any event after this." I teasingly warned.

He chuckled but otherwise didn't comment further.

After stuffing our plate with food, we found the most reclusive area and table to enjoy our meal. We kept each other's company for the most part of half an hour, at least while the host of the event and speakers were taking everyone's attention, but then we were ultimately interrupted with his colleagues.

Sebastian and I were startled when a man slapped him hard on his back, making me cough as he took a drink. He then turned as the man apologized.

"I'm sorry for startling you, Malcolm," the man said as Sebastian composed himself.

"I expect as much from you, Polansky," Sebastian said and held out his hand to his colleague. "I didn't know you were coming to his event. You don't usually like mingling."

He scoffed. "I don't. But I'm dating one of the resident doctors here, you know her."

Sebastian arched his eyebrow. "Who?"

"Who? What? She didn't tell you? I told her that you were taking your residency here." He looked at him in confusion. "Angela Norman."

Sebastian pursed his lips and shook his head. "Right, of course. She's in pathology. I'm on surgery, you know this."

"Yeah, she told me," he replied. "She didn't tell you we were dating, or that I said hi or something?" he quizzically looked at him.

Sebastian kept his face passive. "No, man. She didn't. But I don't see her that much. You know she works with..." He trailed off. His eyes narrowing a bit.