Part Two

"Why can't you be my older brother?" France kept rubbing her cheek against mine after I helped her with her book reports. "P'Finn wouldn't even give me a second of his time when I asked for help."

"Well, he's a working adult now," I told her as we put away her laptop. "And maybe he thinks you can do this on your own."

"I can't."

"You can," I insisted. "So why ask me?"

"Because she's too lazy," The voice coming from the doorway made me almost jump.

Why does he keep popping out of nowhere. I've only been here a few hours and he's already given me multiple heart attacks.

He leaned against the doorway, so handsome in a blue t-shirt, a ripped pair of jeans, and the brown leather sandals which I sent to him as a gift a year back on his twenty third birthday.

"Bran? Wanna go for a ride with me?"

I panicked. I didn't want to be alone with him!

I was going to refuse, maybe make an excuse when France pushed me to get off the chair I was sitting on. "Go."

"W-What?"

France grinned at me. That was not helping. "He won't stop bugging you if you don't go."

P'Finn can be persistent. I guess France noticed that, too. In the family, P'Finn and I were the closest until he left to work in the capital. And whenever he's home, he would annoy anyone I spent time with at their house until I hung out with him.

These things only made me hope, false hopes.

"Why are you so quiet?" P'Finn stopped walking in front of me. We were heading to his car. I wasn't sure any more how to go about this conversation. I gave him a dry smile before walking ahead.

"Hey," he said as he stopped me. "Are you upset or something?"

I shook my head, forced another smile. "University life is just a bit stressful." If lies could get me out of this kind of situation, so lies I will be telling throughout my time here.

"Oh," he replied before he ruffled my hait like he used to a lot. "It happens. I heard you're going to be the chairperson of your division's organization."

"I'll be running but I wouldn't be so sure I would win."

"You will," he said, smiling as he opened his car and motioned me to sit in the passenger seat.

I smacked his arm over the gesture. He never changed. "I'm not a girl."

"So? You're my baby Bran."

I choked. I wish he would stop these teasing and sweet acts. I fall for him even more. The more that I do, the more I feel like I'm digging my own grave.

"Where are we going?" I asked as I buckled myself in. He didn't answer me back. I dared not to repeat my question nor look at his way. I had to play it cool, not appear like some love struck idiot. Three days of this show and I'll be back in the comforts of my bedroom and books.

"Why do I get the feeling that everytime I visit, you're avoiding me, Bran?"

Where did that come from?

"What do you mean?"

The car suddenly stopped on the side of the road where there were no houses on either side but rice paddies.

"Bran..."

"Why would I be avoiding you?" I asked forcing some bravery out of me. I never thought he would ask me this question. Not only do I have no escape from it, I don't have anything to answer with.

"You're right. Why would you..."

I turned to my side and saw him looking at me without any expression in his face before starting the car again. We drove towards the village we often went to when we were kids. These days, my parents would still bring my siblings and I here to buy some fresh crops, mostly vegetables.

"I just need to tell Mr. Santiago something then we'll go home."

Mr. Santiago is the chief in this area. He's a close friend to uncle Draco.

I gave P'Finn a nod before he left the car. He didn't even ask me if I wanted to stay awhile. And why would I even think about it. I didn't want to come in the first place.

Five minutes of waiting, I exited the car and walked around until I reached the cornfields not far from Mr. Santiago's house.

"Brandy!"

I almost tripped when a young girl called me. She's Mr. Santiago's granddaughter. Abandoning her mother in the field, she ran to me.

"You've come to ask my hand in marriage, Brandy?" She said while batting her eyes.

"No," a voice behind me made the ten year old frown. "You're still drinking milk and Bran is going to be my bride, not your groom."

"You're a killjoy, P'Finn," she said before running back to her mother who waved at us.

The drive back home was more awkward after what happened back in the village. Mr. Santiago even joined the teasing and said, "I would love to have Bran as my other grandchild."

Now, P'Finn and I were silent. I didn't get why he would rebutt a young girl's wishful thinking. It's been a common joke among our family members. How I steal young girls' hearts.

"Eight years from now, she can be a candidate to be your girlfriend."

My brows furrowed after hearing him utter those ridiculous words. I felt my chest tighten when he added, "Unless you already have a girlfriend. In that case, I'm happy for you."

"Stop the car," I demanded as I unbuckled my seatbelt.

"Hey, what are you doing?"

"Stop the car." I hissed as I tried to hold my tears in.

I know that one day I would have to find a girl and be with her, start a family. But I didn't want this man to slap that realization in my face. Not him...

"Bran..."

"I'll walk the rest of the way. Just stop the car!"

Their house would be a few turns ahead. When P'Finn stopped the car, I quickly stepped off and walked away briskly. I ignored him while he called my name.

How could I face him? I was falling apart the more I do.

_________________tbc•Zia