━━━━ seventeen

Mathilda is uncharacteristically quiet for the majority of the morning, laying in one of the hammocks and simply staring up at the blue sky above. The loss of Myles in camp is being felt by all, but she cannot quell the need to distance herself from the other celebrities.

Nadine looks forlorn as she converses with Jacqueline and Caitlyn, and Kate and Roman are conversing quietly with similarly upset expressions. It doesn't help matters that Roman has scarcely spoken ten words to her since yesterday's revelation, and Mathilda is no closer to discovering what he's feeling about it all. Perhaps he may have confessed all to Myles, but it isn't like he is around for her to interrogate.

This is precisely the sort of scenario that feeds into her fear of the unknown.

━━ IN THE BUSH TELEGRAPH ━━

"So I've been in a bit of a funk since Myles left this morning," Mathilda admits softly, fighting back a fresh wave of tears at the mere mention of it. "I know I'll see him really soon but it just isn't the same around here without his radiant smile and his silly conversations..." She clears her throat in a futile attempt to remove the lump in it. "Maybe it'll be the motivation I need to do well in today's trial: Pump of Peril. I'm going to smash it and it'll be for you, Mylo!"

━━ IN THE MAIN CAMP ━━

Somehow Mathilda finds herself being nominated to do the trial and with Roman of all people for company. The two are allegedly the strongest in the camp but Mathilda flexes her weak arms to prove that it surely cannot be the case. Despite her regular visits to the gym, her upper body strength has always been a serious weakness of hers - hence her go-to move in a fight being kicking or, if she has had one too many tequilas, hair pulling. Nothing involving throwing punches lest she end up with a dislocated shoulder and a bruised ego. Experience has taught her well.

"I think you two will be great," Kate says positively. "You're both strong, determined, and you have good communication skills between the two of you."

The two in question briefly glance at one another before looking away, unsure. If anyone realises that they are going through a rough patch, they don't acknowledge it aloud.

"Are you both up for it?" questions Jacqueline.

Mathilda shrugs. "Yeah, I'll give it a go."

Almost seeming to take her acceptance as a challenge, Roman sharply nods his head. "Yeah. Yeah, for sure," he agrees.

━━ IN THE BUSH TELEGRAPH ━━

Mathilda and Roman sit side by side trying to look as though merely being in each other's presence doesn't make them wholly uncomfortable.

"We're going to give it our all and just see how it goes," states Mathilda, her jaw clenched in determination as her eyes narrow and her nostrils flare. "The other celebrities deserve a nice meal, and we never know whose last meal this will be, so we should try to make it a good one, right?"

She looks over at Roman who offers her a tentative smile and a nod of his head. "Yeah. Right. Exactly what she said. This is for them and we won't let them down... Hopefully," he adds, grimacing and Mathilda agrees with the sentiment.

━━ IN THE TRIAL CLEARING ━━

They greet Ant and Dec cordially and silently try to dispel any lingering tension between the two of them. How can they expect to win any stars if they are incapable of even standing beside one another?

"Myles is gone," Dec says, "and then there were six!"

"We've got to win this one for him tonight," Roman replies.