Chapter Two: Three Rays Of Sunshine

The next morning I woke up and I could feel the bruises. I just took some ibuprofen from the cabinet and threw on some old jeans. I didn’t even bother changing my plain black T-shirt. I brushed out my hair and stared at my face in the mirror. Was I really that ugly?

I pulled out some of my mother’s makeup and decided to try and use some. I found some deep red lipstick but it didn’t seem right with the black so I shoved it back into the drawer. I used some other kind of cream to cover up the bruises. When I was satisfied I brought out some blush and dipped the lid into it to gather up the powder. I carefully patted it on my cheeks and looked at myself again.

A disappointing look came across my face. I could never be as pretty as my mother, let alone Amelia. A few tears rolled down my cheek as I pounded my fists onto the counter of the bathroom sink. How stupid was I to think that makeup would change anything? 

I resisted the urge to knock off all the makeup onto the floor for fear that my mother will yell at me for it. I put them back into the door and closed it shut. When I looked at my watch I realized I was going to be late if I didn’t leave now. I grabbed my book bag and  stormed out the door. 

I ran to the school and sat in my seat just as the bell rang. I sighed and breathed heavily, trying to catch my breath from the long run. I got the same looks from everybody and I knew the evil looks I was getting were going to haunt me all day until they left me with more bruises. They wouldn’t let me just escape like that.

When I came here the popular kids asked me if I was in or out. I was either one of them or an outcast. I told them I would think about it and watched their every movements. From the bullying of other students, to the drugs they did at the parties, I knew I didn’t want to be apart of their little group. I was counted as an outcast from then on but I was different from the rest.

I was an outcast who wasn’t afraid to speak their mind. I stood up for the people they picked on. I stood up for what was right while everyone else just turned the other cheek. I opposed how their posse worked. Ever since that one day I said “stop” they have made it a goal of theirs to put me in my place.

Since then I have been the only one they truly bully. Everyone else now knows from what’s happened to me not to mess with them. They just do what they say and they don’t beat them. Course as much as I want to just turn the other cheek I know it’s not right to just look away. I have to show them they don’t own these people.

If I can take everyone else’s pain than I’m not afraid to do so. This is a duty I am willing to bear. Although it made me wonder, how much can I take? Will I die by the bruises they thrust upon me? Will I die by the extreme loneliness in my heart?

I heard the ding of the bell and realized I had daydreamed the whole day away. I rushed out of the school so as not to get caught by then and it seemed to work, for today. I didn’t care about my homework or school. My life was on the line here. That stuff can wait. 

My teacher always saw my failing grades and would say, “Aren’t you worried about your future?”

What kind of future would I have if I died? Every day I wake up not knowing if this will be the day when they will beat me to death. It’s not known whether or not they will go far enough to kill me and I wouldn’t doubt it with the hatred they feel for me. The hatred they feel for the words I spoke against them.

I closed the front door to myself and locked it behind me. My mom and step dad were sitting in the living room. I walked passed them to the stairs like I always did but my mom stopped me with the grabbing of my wrist. I looked back at her with eyes of surprise but I found hers to be those of sadness.

“Lucy, your dad and me have something to talk to you about.” she said.

“He’s not my dad, I already told you.” I refused to call him as such.

“Just shut up and listen!” she screamed back.

I nodded as I closed my mouth and folded my arms, looking at the both of them. My “dad” walked forward and I shot him an ugly look before I looked back at my mother. I didn’t know which I hated worse, the man who had tried to replace my father, or my mother who ignored me and didn’t care. I hated them both. Although my mother wouldn’t allow me to look upon anything else but her for the moment.

“Your little sister was born today. Would you help take care of her for us?” my stepfather asked me.

My first remark was to just yell at him to do it himself but I held myself back. I nodded saying I would do it. My little sister needed someone to take care of her because I knew my poor excuses for parents wouldn’t do it. She needed a better life so she has something to hold onto when she’s older.

They rewarded me with a smile and a pat on the head to tell me I was still a good girl. Now that she was born my mom would go back to work and then they would have hardly any time to watch her. Luckily, my stepfather worked as a writer so he stayed home all day at his desk, allowing him to watch the child while my mother was away at work. 

I met my little sister the next day. She was so tiny and frail, almost like a baby kitten I had once held when I was little. I cradled her in my arms, gently. I was scared of dropping her at first but after a few minutes I was used to it already. I couldn’t help but smile at that innocent little face. I felt bad for her. Such a pretty baby growing up in such a disgusting world.

“Hey can I take her to the beach?” I asked my mother.

She gave me a simple nod and them returned to the food on her plate at the dinner table. I carried the baby all the way to the beach and stood by the calming waters. The water came up and ran over my feet. The feeling made me sigh with relief.

“Isn’t it beautiful Amy? One day you will understand just how great this place is. It’s a perfect place to be.” I told her as I turned her body to let her see the ocean.

She gave me a little giggle to let me know she was happy. Maybe I could make someone happy after all. I stared into the sunset and before I knew it, I felt like an older sister already. Suddenly I heard the scuffling of feet behind me. Something that made the sunshine much brighter.

“Is that your baby?” she asked me.

“No! Of course not! This is Amy, my little sister.” I responded, repulsed by the idea that I would be pregnant at this age.

She let out a sigh of relief as she walked forward. She looked down at the child who reached out and touched her face. I was happy that Amy didn’t start crying or puke all over her. I smiled bigger than I had in a long time. I now had three little rays of sunshine to warm my skin.