CHAPTER TWO: Lord Byron

Autumn had finally arrived in London. The landscape had been transformed by the sunlight. Greens, browns and oranges danced in the cool fall air. The cold announced the coming of winter, but it was still a while away.

Though the winter had the best holidays – such as Christmas – Elizabeth had always loved autumn most. The colours of the nature were gorgeous in combination with the sun, and the transformation was amazing to watch. The difference between the warm sun and the cold shadow was what she loved most. She found she appreciated the sun most when there was a big contrast with the cold.

That morning she had decided to match her surroundings by wearing a brown gown, decorated with black stripes and flowers. With a black coat draped over her shoulders, she was ready to venture outside into the autumn air.

She did not have many stops that day. In fact, she only had one. She had to wait all morning until it was a good time to go out for a visit. Twas not an ordinary visit. She was quite nervous, for the man she would visit, might decline her. Elizabeth was not a sore loser, but she really wanted to do this. She would fight for what she wanted if she had to.

With her maid, Miss Green, she drove in the carriage toward the outskirts of London. The black carriage stopped in front of one of the biggest buildings on the street, its pale blue colour a big contrast with the autumn environment.

Elizabeth tried to calm down as she stepped out, but she was too excited to do so properly. If the man she was about to meet would agree with her proposition, she would finally feel like her life had purpose again. She could not say she had a bad life with no meaning, but she wanted to be more important than just the daughter of her mother or the sister to her brothers. It did not matter to her who the person was she mattered to, as long as she saw the gratefulness in their eyes.

Also it would be a great way to fill her days. She had had enough of sewing and embroidering, and meeting up with people she pretended were her friends. Her mother and Mary could also spend only so much time with her. She was not as lonely as her brother, Andrew, but she did want more purpose in her life.

With the hope in mind, she walked up the steps of the house. A butler opened the door for her and announced: "Lord Byron is expecting you, Lady Brompton. I shall lead you to his study."

"Thank you," she told him, after which he bowed and walked inside the house, followed by miss Green. He led her from the main hallways to a smaller one, then opened the second door they passed.

"Lady Brompton," he announced to the man inside.

"Let her in," she heard lord Byron's voice say. The butler gave her a nod and Elizabeth walked inside the study. The big room had green walls and brown, wooden furniture and many book shelfs. The windows were big, but thin curtains held back the brightest of the light.

Behind the wooden desk was a man in a grey waistcoat, his blonde hair was combed back and his face had a kind smile. Twas the first time Elizabeth saw the man, but she had heard many things about him. Who had not, she thought to herself. He was a great and famous play writer, working with the best actors from all over the country. If one could act for him, that person was certain to make a big career.

But that was not what Elizabeth wanted. She was not great actress at all. Beside the roles for his next play were already decided, and it made her hope even more he would agree with her proposal.

"Lady Brompton," the lord behind the desk said. He stood up and reach out his hand.

"Lord Byron," she said, and gave him her hand, which he kissed – the polite way to welcome someone. "I am very glad you agreed to meet me."

"I was very surprised by your letter," he said as he motioned for her to sit down on the chair in front of his desk. "Tis not every day a lady of your status would ask to work for me voluntary."

She gave him her best smile.

"I am a lover of the arts of theatre and opera, and you are certainly the best at it."

"You flatter me, my lady. But unfortunately flattery will not get you what you want from me. You have to prove to me that you are worthy of my attention."

"I am worthy of your attention," she told him confidently. "I do not have the means to become famous – or even known – for helping you out during your next play. I merely want to help make the magic of theatre work. I want to help turning your unbelievable vision into reality, for everyone to enjoy."

"And you would do so without payment?" he asked, wanting to be certain she did not lie in the letter she sent him a few days ago. "You do not want to make a name for yourself in the world of the arts?"

Elizabeth shook her head. "No. I merely want to bring joy to people. If I can help behind the curtains and make the play easier and better for the actors, than I will be fulfilled."

Lord Byron nodded, but did not answer straight away. He thought for a while of the words she just spoke.

"What do you expect to be doing at my theatre?"

"I can do a lot, my lord. I can sew, embroider, dance, play the piano. I am open to learn more. If you wish for me to help build the stage, I shall do so."

"Building the stage is hard work," he told her doubtful. "Are you certain you would be up for the task?"

"Yes," she said, nodding her head enthusiastically, although she did not know if she could truly build a stage for she had never done it.

"You would be willing to assist on all the tasks you have listed? Fixing clothing, making up hair, putting on make-up, building stages?" His voice sounded doubtful when he listen the last task, but Elizabeth tried to ensure him by nodded again.

"Yes, my lord. I would do it all. I can even assist on a piano if that would be needed during rehearsals."

"Mmh," the lord said as he wiped a hand in front of his mouth. His eyes were on Elizabeth, looking at her as if he could see if she would be good at what she was proposing. His gaze frightened her, for it meant he was doubting. Mayhap he already had enough people working on the play and he did not need her anymore. Mayhap she did not have enough experience to assist him and she was not a valuable asset. Mayhap he just did not need her.

Yet he was doubting, which meant there was a chance he would agree. Would he give her a chance?

He dropped his hands and shrugged. "Well, I can give you a try. If you do not ask any money for it, you can only be an extra helping hand. And who does not need those?"

Relieve washed over Elizabeth and she smiled at him, grateful. "Thank you so much, lord Byron. I shall not disappoint you."

He moved his finger, indicating no. "Do not make any promises, lady Brompton. You do not know how hard life at the theatre can be."

"I shall withstand it," she promised. He gave her a doubtful look, but did not comment.

He stood up, and Elizabeth did the same. "I will expect you tomorrow at the theatre. We start in the morning. Do not be late."

"Of course not, my lord. I shall be there." And I shall be early, she thought.

The lord gave her a smile and a bow, then indicated for her to leave – which she did after a curtsy. With her head held high and a proud smile, she left the room. She accomplished what she came for, she was about to give meaning to her life. She was going to help with Pondside.