Chapter 1

The poster hanging above my desk was taunting. Every time I looked up from my computer all I could see was her face staring back at me. Her perfect brown eyes, her curly red hair blowing perfectly in the breeze. Her mouth and nose were covered with a plain red bandana, which was strapped around her mouth. She was wearing skin-tight black pants and a red shirt that perfectly outlines her curves. Her feet were covered by black high heeled boots, ones I couldn't even walk in, let alone outrun an entire army.

The door opened behind me. I looked up to see the lady from my poster staring back at me. "You almost done?" She asked.

I nod. "Almost,"

"Hurry up, dinner's ready."

She closed the door and I heard her footsteps fade away as she walks down the hall. I turn back towards my computer, staring at the empty document. I had an essay due tomorrow worth nearly a quarter of my grade and I hadn't even started. I switched to another tab, looking at the rubric. After scanning the picture briefly, I gave up and closed my computer. I exited the room and headed down the hall towards the dining room.

While my brother, Marco, finished up his last bite, my mom was taking her first. I slid into the seat next to my sister, who has barely touched her food and is instead playing on her phone.

"Did you finish your essay?" My mom asks.

"Not yet,"

"What's it about?"

I looked down at my food to avoid eye contact. "How superheroes affect our society," I muttered.

"I remember having to do that assignment," My sister says, her food still untouched. "I got an A on it."

"I didn't need to know what grade you got on it,"

"I'm just saying Natalie, it's not gonna be that hard. We have a superhero in the family," She says, gesturing towards our mom.

"But she's been retired for years now," I fought back.

"Look, all Erin's saying is if you need help, her and I would be willing to give it." My mom said, sensing a fight starting between Erin and me.

I glance towards my sister, who flashes a quick smile before finally picking up her fork and eating.

After dinner, I returned to my computer, rubbing my eyes as I tried to find the words for an essay I had no desire to write. I slouched down in my chair, staring blankly at the poster of my mom hanging above my desk. I hated that thing. All her life, she had been perfect. As a kid, she had always gotten good grades, had lots of friends, and when she developed her powers, the world loved her for it. She had been perfect. But then I noticed the picture of my dad sitting on my desk. With an idea in mind, I sat up and straighter and started writing.

Erin drove me and Marco to school in the morning. She had graduated a year earlier and decided to stay at home to earn some money before she went off to college, and so she offered to drive us to school since my mom was at work much earlier than that. As I climbed into the car, I slid my printed essay into my backpack.

"Did you finish it?" Marco asked me.

"Yeah," I said. "I'm hoping I did okay."

"I'm sure you did great," Erin said, putting the car into gear.

We lived a good ten minutes from school, and so I spent our car ride in silence, staring out the window at the passing city.

The car came to a sudden stop. My seatbelt was the only thing stopping me from flying forward into the back of Marco's seat.