Chapter 12

I was sitting in math, twirling my pencil between my fingers. I could see everything it was made of, the wood, led, every molecule. The images all sat firmly in the back of my head, waiting for me to do something with them, waiting for me to destroy them.

Jackie was sitting at the front of the class, her head constantly looking up and down as she took notes. I didn't move an inch. It had felt like forever since we last talked, and so much had happened. I had stopped a building from falling, I had been on my first date, I had even had my first--

"Natalie!" The teacher said.

I snapped out of my thought. "Yes?" I asked.

"I've been calling your name for the past minute."

"Oh, uh, what's the question?"

The teacher sighed. "If angle three is forty degress and is vertical to angle five, what does angle five equal?"

"Uh... fifty?" I guessed.

She shook her head. "Anyone else?"

I sighed, slouching down in my chair.

Jackie raised her hand, getting the question right immediately. I honestly wasn't surprised, she had always been a smart girl, and with everything that was going on, school hadn't exactly been at the top of my priorities. My grades were dropping fast, and I honestly didn't care change them.

As the teacher continued talking, I noticed Jackie glancing back at me, only to turn away whenever we locked eye contact.

Class moved on slowly, with a long lecture and then yet another page of homework to complete tonight. I slid it into my backpack, adding it to the folder of everything I hadn't finished yet. At this point, it was getting quite full.

As I was putting the rest of my stuff away I could hear Jackie talking to another girl.

"So, I can't come tonight. It's the final game of the season, so I have to be there."

"What time? Maybe we could hang out before?"

"I have a team party only a few minutes after school, and they really want me to come since I missed the last one."

"Man, you're always so busy."

"Yeah, sorry. You're welcome to come watch."

"I'll pass, soccer's not really my thing."

"Oh, okay, um, I guess I'll see you tomorrow." Jackie said, giving a weak smile.

I contemplated my options. Jackie gave me one last glance before she headed out the door. We both knew we were better together. I knew she missed me, but more than anything, I missed her. I knew I had done her wrong, and I didn't know what to do to fix it.

I packed up my things and headed out the door as well, ready to head home.

Erin was waiting for me in the parking lot, reading something on her phone.

"Hey," I said. She didn't acknowledge me. "Hey," I said again, louder this time. She still didn't move. "Erin!" I yelled.

She jumped. "What?"

"What are you looking at?"

"I found an article about the DC attack. It's kinda amazing what happened."

"More like painful," I muttered under my breath.

"What?"

"Nothing," I lied, putting on my seat belt. I turned towards her. "Can you take me to the store?"