Chapter 5

I was laying on a couch when I woke up. Across from me was a kitchen, where Solstice was standing, his back turned towards me. The walls around me we're a faded yellow, the floor made of beat-up wood.

I sat up slowly, my body aching. I had bandages all over me. "Where am I?" I asked.

"My apartment." He said, his back still turned to me.

"Why didn't you just take me back to my house?"

"Because this was closer, and you were losing a lot of blood." He turned around and walked towards me, a cup in his hand. "Drink it," he said.

I grabbed the cup and looked inside. It was a green liquid that smelled of lime and vinegar. "What is this?" I asked.

"A tonic. It'll heal you up faster, I make it for myself after battles."

I drank it one sip at a time. It tasted awful, and I had no idea what was in it, but I didn't dare ask.

"So," He said, sitting down next to me. "How long have you had your powers?"

"What are you talking about?" I lied.

"Don't play stupid with me, Natalie. I saw what you did out there, turning an entire building to ash, I've never seen anything like it."

I set the cup down on the coffee table in front of me as I slumped forward, staring at the wall. "I got them when I was twelve," I muttered.

"Is that around the time you got expelled as well?"

I nodded.

"Does your mom know?"

I shook my head. "And I don't want you to tell her."

"What? Why? Isn't this what you always wanted?"

"Yeah, I guess, but after the mess I made last time I don't think I really deserve powers like this. Not to mention the damage it gives me," I said, glancing towards the bandages covering my arms.

"Speaking of which, how are you feeling?"

"Better,"

"Do you think you can walk?"

I carefully stood up, leaning against the wall for support.

"That's it," Solstice said, holding out his hand for me to grab. I gratefully grabbed it and limped most of the way to his car.

It was completely dark outside, and the roads were mostly empty.

"What time is it?" I asked.

"Close to midnight."

"Does my mom know where I am?"

"Yeah, I texted her after we got to my apartment."

"You didn't tell her about my powers, did you?"

"Well, for one, I wasn't even sure if you had powers or not, and I wanted to talk to you about it before I said anything to your mom."

"So my secrets safe?"

He sighed. "For now. But if you don't tell her soon, I will, alright? She's your mom, she deserves the right to know."

I stared out the window the rest of the drive, thinking to myself. Erin was right, I needed to stay out of all this superhero stuff. Looking at the bandages on my arms, I realized how much danger I was putting myself in.

We arrived at my house a few minutes after midnight. Solstice helped me out of the car and into the house.

When we walked in, I saw my mom standing behind the counter, tapping her fingers repeatedly.