Chapter 12 + Christmas Special

Snow fell from the sky, covering everything in white; Christmas time was here. It was such a beautiful sight to see as Thomas and Alex walked in the park.

It was about a year after Alex was able to leave the hospital. It seemed like an eternity to him; especially to Thomas. But at least Alex was able to heal fully.

“It’s like a winter wonderland out here.” Alex remarked with a soft smile, glancing around the busy New York streets. Thomas smiled and nodded in agreement.

Yep; Alex got his voice back. While he was healing from his injuries at the hospital, slowly Alexander’s throat began to heal as well. During all his free time at the hospital, he would try saying the ABCs a little at a time as if he was back in kindergarten. After he was able to say all his ABCs perfectly, he advanced into speaking words again. Soon enough, Alexander Hamilton was able to speak once again through plenty of hard work. And he couldn’t have done it without the support from his loved ones.

Alex smiled and looked up at Thomas. “Got the gift?” He asked as they neared the rehabilitation center. Thomas nods in reply, holding up a medium-sized box wrapped in snowflake-patterned wrapping paper. Even though Thomas looked like he was ready to go inside, Alex knew what he really felt. He knew that his tall boyfriend was afraid and nervous on the inside. He rested a hand on Thomas’s cheek. “Hey… Everything’s going to be okay.” He reassured him.

Thomas sighed and put his free hand on top of Alex’s. “Thanks, Lexi. What would I ever do without you?”

Alex shrugged. “Sing a song about what you missed?” He smirked, making his boyfriend roll his eyes. “Now come on.” Alex holds Thomas’s hand as they both finally walk into the building. First they check in with a doctor, letting him know that they were visiting before following another down the hall until they reached a room at the end of the hallway. 

“He's here,” said the doctor, “and to tell you both, he’s actually doing pretty well. So there’s nothing to be worried about.” He reassured them before walking off. 

The two boys both take in a deep breath before slowly opening the door and walking in. Over by the window is the one person they came to visit: James Madison.

Alex nudged Thomas forward lightly. He takes another deep breath and takes a step forward. Clearing his throat, he says “Hey, Jimmy James.” 

The boy by the window lifted his head and looked up at Thomas and Alex. A moment of silence passed between the three before a sad smile appeared on Madison’s face. “Hey, Thomas,” he says softly. “Hey, Alex.” He stood from his seat by the window and slowly walked over to them. 

The taller boy--still holding the gift--outstretched his arms, and without hesitation, Madison runs into his arms and hugged him tightly as if he’d been wanting this moment for so long. Thomas wrapped his long, slender arms around Madison.

“I-I’m so sorry,” he choked out. Madison looks back up at Thomas with tears in his eyes. “I-I shouldn’t have mistreated you the way I did in our relationship.” A minute later he allowed his tears to flow down his cheeks. And seeing Madison sad made Thomas sad as well.

Madison then turns to Alex with a look of guilt. “And you,” he began, “I’m sorry for all the pain I had inflicted upon you. I was wrong to hurt you; I was wrong to hurt anyone caught up in what I have done.” And right there and then Madison broke down, sobbing. With crying tears, Alex went and hugged him. Not another moment later, Thomas had his long, slender arms wrapped around both of them, forming a group hug among the three of them. 

After what seemed like an eternity, they all broke away from the embrace. Wiping away his eyes, Thomas took the chance in giving Madison his gift. “Here, James. Alex and I thought we’d give you a Christmas present.” He softly smiled, handing over the medium-sized wrapped box.