Chapter 24 ~ Familial Bonds

When Pitch and I finally parted once more, we both turned and faced our fellow Guardians. I felt much the same as I had before my death, only now there was a tingling sensation throughout my skin, my new powers flowing through my soul. The Guardians all turned to look at me, large smiles gracing their features now. Jack took a step forward, as if he wanted to hug me, but Pitch intercepted his movement and let out a low protective growl. "Pitch, it's okay. It was an accident..." I whispered, placing a hand on his back gently. "Please let him pass." Pitch glanced at me wearily, then dipped his head and allowed Jack to approach me. "Anara! I-I am so sorry! I didn't realize that you would step in the way. I should've been more careful! Can you ever forgive me?" The Guardian of Fun hugged me tightly, and cool tears of remorse dropped onto my shoulder. "I already forgave you Jack. It was not your fault this happened, it was fate. Now I can be with Pitch forever. Thank you though." I rubbed his back soothingly before we both pulled away.

The other Guardians also murmured apologies for the argument that caused my temporary demise. Though I felt they were unnecessary, I appreciated the comments. Pitch circled his arms around my waist, holding me securely from behind. "We never should've tried to keep you apart. We should've known Manny had a plan for you all along. I suppose we were simply blind to it. Can you forgive us for our rashness as well?" North gestured to himself, Bunny, Tooth, and Sandy. I nodded adamantly at them. "Of course!" I replied.

An hour passed by rather quickly, our group discussing all that had transpired the past year, particularly pertaining to my relationship with the Nightmare King. Pitch was polite, but there was still resentment in his eyes about my accident. Out of nowhere a soft green glitter appeared in front of our group, distracting us from the discussion at hand. The glowing shimmer began to form into a figure, a thin framed and tall woman, with dark black hair that fell to her waist. My eyes widened as the emerald sparkles materialized into a chiffon dress that dragged across the grass below the woman as she strode toward our group. She was young, possibly a little bit younger than me, and her eyes were two toned, gold and green. Flowers of all sorts sprung from the ground beneath her feet after each step she took. "Mother Nature..." North whispered, bowing in respect. The others quickly followed suit, so I did as well, eyes glued to the other fairytale woman.

Pitch, however, remained standing. He let out the surprised breath he was holding, uttering one simple word. "Emily..." The woman gave a kind hearted smile. "Hello, Father," She greeted the dark man softly, her voice as smooth as honey and soft as rose petals. My heart stopped. I had forgotten that Mother Nature was Pitch's long lost daughter. Wow, as if this isn't already complicated. "What are you doing here? The last time we spoke, you said you never wished to see me again." Pitch tried to sound gruff, but I could hear the sadness resonating deep from within his heart. Mother Nature stepped closer to him, stroking her hand along his cheek. "I only said such words because you were acting so wretched, Father. That doesn't mean I don't love you, or that I ever stopped." She told him.

Then her gaze fell on the rest of us. "Please, stand." She offered. We did as asked, and I continued to stare at the father and daughter's exchange. The girl opened her arms to Pitch, and he cautiously let his guard down, wrapping his arms around his child as if she were still a young girl. Surprisingly, she sunk into his embrace, holding him tightly. "I love you too, Emily." Pitch whispered, a tear sliding down his face and falling onto the girl's bare shoulder. She pulled away, still smiling at him, before turning her warm gaze on me. "You are the new guardian, aren't you? The one that the Man in the Moon told me about...the one who is destined for my Father." I swallowed thickly, nodding and stepping forward. She held her hand out to me, and so I placed my palm within hers.

The girl pulled me closer, taking my hand and her father's and placing them together over her own. "You ask why I am here now, Father. This-" She gestured to our joined hands then. "This is the reason. I am here to bless your union." She murmured. As she spoke, a deep scarlet rose appeared around our hands, the thornless stem twisting around our wrists like vines. Pitch looked to me in disbelief, before turning his attention to his daughter. "You aren't angry?" He asked. Emily frowned. "As much as I miss my mother, she will never be replaced. I understand that you feel the same in your heart. But there is no rule that says you must only love one person in your life. Mother loved you with her entire being, but nothing can bring her back. Though I can visit her, she will never live again, and we are immortal. It is time to move on, never forget, never stop loving, but move on. You love this girl, and I know she loves you just the same. Therefore, I support this union." She smiled sweetly at the two of us.