Chapter 7 ~ Halloween Haunts

Anara POV

Halloween seemed to approach faster than normal, and I was thrilled to see that this was something Pitch and I could enjoy together. Pitch liked the rush of fear that surrounded him whenever a child nearby got scared by something mundane, and the fact that I had a love for scary movies anyway led to us watching one almost every evening when I finished homework. On nights when I watched these films with my mother, Pitch joined us downstairs, though my mom couldn't see him because she did not believe in him. It worked out well, although I could only ever answer anything Pitch asked me with a nod or shake of my head until I could explain further at the end of the night. His favorite one seemed to be The Conjuring 2, since it was frightening without being gory. He thought that overtly bloody horror films were cheesy and over rated.

Watching the first Saw and Final Destination films with him had proven such a point, when I ended up listening to him rant about the idiocy of it all for nearly an hour after each. Though his commentary was entertaining, he made it clear he wished to watch nothing of that sort again. I didn't mind that though, because I felt the same in some regard. I had only chosen those movies since they were on television at the time. I had plenty of other better DVDs and films on my streaming service that we were sure to enjoy.

Also, I liked reading horror novels and creepy stories online, which I would sometimes read to Pitch while he was there with me. And of course, I needed to attend to the chore of picking out my costume and makeup for the upcoming holiday party Jade would be hosting at her house that night. I was debating between a fallen angel and a siren, both costumes equally beautiful and dark. Pitch was actually helpful in my decision making, pointing out that the gothic fallen angel costume would stand out in a crowd over the subtle sparkly mermaid. Besides, I needed something kind of cool since I would be singing with Jade and another one of her friends at the party.

It was nice to spend this time with Pitch, and I noticed that as the days passed by, he had started to relax even more in my presence. Granted, we had moments and stories that we did not discuss yet, the biggest being how Pitch became who he was. Whenever I tried to bring the subject up, Pitch would go silent and give me a warning look. Though I knew he wouldn't ever hurt me, I didn't want to anger my friend by pressing for details. I could tell it hurt him to think about his past, and I didn't want to cause him any unnecessary pain. Even still, I felt a strong urge to discover Pitch's secrets, though I knew I needed to give him time.

Soon the day of Jade's party came, the chilly autumn air preparing us for a classic Halloween night. The sky was dark, with silver clouds swirling around the sky and an orange harvest moon glowing high above. Children dressed as goblins, ghosts, princesses, fairies, and an array of other mythical creatures were running through the neighborhood in an effort to fill their trick-or-treat bags. Parents stood at the doorways, handing out candy and small toys to the kids enjoying the holiday. Meanwhile, I watched out my window as I finished lacing up my knee-high boots, the leather tight against my calves. Pitch was sure to arrive soon, but I was sure he was sneaking in some last minute scares before our rendezvous.

My reflection caught my eye, and I paused to look over my shape in the mirror. My dress was made of a light satin fabric, dark grey in color with twisted black vines decorating the bodice and skirt. A black fishnet overlay laced up the front of my dress, tied with a black satin ribbon. The fishnet sleeves were jagged and hung loosely on my arms. Onyx angel wings and a fluffy halo completed the costume, and I finished the look with straightened hair and smokey eye makeup using black and silver. Red lipstick outlined in black lip liner was my final touch, enhancing my lips.

Golden eyes appeared over my shoulder, and crooked white teeth stood out against a charcoal set of lips. Pitch had arrived. "Well, well dear Anara. You look wonderfully frightful tonight." The Guardian complimented me with a devious smirk on his face. I turned to look at him, my hands resting on my hips as I glanced over him. Nothing about him had really changed, even for the holiday. "Thank you, Pitch. I'm glad to have the approval of the Nightmare King." I teased him, crossing my ankles and curtseying. He rolled his eyes at me before extending his arm and offering me his elbow. "Oh look, chivalry is not dead after all." I accepted his arm and smiled up at him. "Don't be ridiculous, my dear. Chivalry is not dead; it's simply going extinct. Now, let us attend this dreadful celebration of yours. The sooner we leave, the sooner we can get back," Pitch murmured with a tone exemplifying utter and complete disinterest in the evening's events. Shaking my head in amusement, I nodded my agreement as I tugged on his arm in an effort to encourage him to walk out my door.