Chapter Four

A blinding light met the children at the end of the hole. As soon as their eyes adjusted, they stared in awe at the gate that was before them. The gate was at least 100 feet high and it looked as it never ended. The door of the gate was encrusted with emeralds, rubies, diamonds, and sapphires and they all reflected light from the very yellow sun. The metal of the gate itself was pure gold, and the handles of the door were silver. Little balls of blinking colors swirled around them as if they were at a dance.

As the children looked at each other, they were very astonished. Each of them had a different outfit on and the girls' hair was totally different. Andrew and Peter were wearing golden shorts and a white top on. Cate's hair became short, with golden ringlets reaching just below her chin. Lindsey's hair was long, and purple, her favorite color and Ann's hair was a deep chocolate brown and was put up in a bun. Gwen's hair was also longer, and her hair looked like red flames contently waving. Lastly, Sarah's hair turned a sparkling silver and was braided in a fish-tail braid.

"Oh my gosh our hair, my hair it's so different." Gwen said combing her hair with her fingers.

'How did this happen? I liked my other clothes better." Peter complained.

"Well I like my hair, from what I can see." smiled Lindsey.

"The directions on the tree. We should start doing them now. Right?" Ann asked.

"Yeah, let's get started already." yelled Cate.

"O.k. It says take an orb? What is an orb?" Sarah asked.

"I think they are the little ball things that are floating around right now." said Gwen.

"Well, why didn't we think of that?" Andrew questioned.

"You were just not paying attention to the little flying balls of colors, which are zooming all around us." Ann huffed.

"Well it so hard to take everything in." Gwen said, "I didn't really notice them either."

"Take an orb to determine your fate; I guess we have to get one of the flying things." Sarah assumed.

"But how are we going to get them? They fly around so fast; we don't even have any nets." Lindsey said.

"This is going to take forever! Stop talking and help me the catch orbs." Cate shouted.

Cate was trying to chase an orb that was turning different shades of blue. It led her back and forth and did loops in the air, then floated so high there was no chance she could even jump to get it.

"There is no way to get any of them!" Lindsey acknowledged.

"COME DOWN!" Cate pleaded.

Shockingly, all the orbs stopped in mid-air, and came floating down like leaves in the fall dropping from trees. They organized themselves in tight rows around the children.

"Get one," said Lindsey.

"Wait, don't pick one yet, we should pick one together." Sarah said.

"How about that pink one?" suggested Ann.

"No, the green orb." Peter said.

"Look at that orb, it is turning all different colors." Gwen exclaimed.

"Yes, it has all our favorite colors and more." said Sarah.

"Let's pick that one!" Peter cried joyfully.

"Cate, since you are the smallest go through the rows of orbs through the tiny open space to the rainbow colored orb." Gwen said.

"O.K." said Cate.