Chapter 4

Jade arrived at my house, a duffel bag on her arm, ready to tackle the event of informing my parents on my situation.

"Mom!" I called when I opened the door, "Jade's here!!"

She responded with some kind of mumble from the kitchen. I led Jade upstairs to my room, tip-toeing for some unknown reason. She set her stuff down on my bed and I shut the door quietly, looking at her with a lost and helpless expression.

"So," she said, "how are you gonna tell 'em?" Jade sat on my bed and grabbed one of my pillows, casually hugging it to her chest.

I covered my face and shook my head, collapsing next to her on my bed. How would I tell them?

"I have no idea. I mean, they're probably not going to ground me or anything because what else could I do at this point?"

Jade spoke up. "You could do pot. I mean, that might be worse than this." I couldn't help but giggle softly, wiping the tears from my eyes.

"I guess we should go tell them now? I mean, there's no better time right?"

"Well, you could wait until you have a big ol' belly." She laughed again until realizing that I didn't find this funny anymore. I simply shook my head and stood up, wiping my face once more before opening the door and walking out of my room.

We found my parents in the living room, watching some dramatic TV show.

"Um, Mom? Dad?" They paused the TV and looked up at us.

"Hey girls! Hi, Jade. How are you?" My dad was always this nice when I had a friend over. Thank God.

"Hi Mr. Charleson. How are you?"

"I'm good, thank you for asking. It's always nice to have you over." Maybe not today, I thought.

"So, what did you girls need?" My mother finally spoke up, smiling slightly. God, this was going to be hard.

"I um....I," I started, looking between both of my parents. "I-I'm....." I then broke down, collapsing into the couch and shaking violently from the sobs.

"Oh sweetie," my mom cooed, rubbing my back just as she's done for the past seventeen years when something was upsetting me. "What's wrong? You know you can talk to us."

"I'm pregnant," I whispered against the throw pillow. The room fell spine-chillingly silent and I knew that even loud-mouth Jade wouldn't dare to speak up.