Lakeland

Lucy sighed as she walked down an abandoned alley. Her nose hurt from the foul smell that seemed to be around the town.

The whole town was abandoned with no signs of struggle. The stores were closed, houses were locked, and even the Mayor's office was kept under lock. No sign of people either. She even checked underground and even the secret hideout for emergency cases.

'This is becoming really suspicious and out of hand.' She thought, 'We should just report this to the Council.' With that, she turned around and began to sniff out Erza's scent.

Surely Erza would listen to her? The redhead was wise with a no - nonsense attitude. And, was the least person who would try to go beyond orders.

But before she could go far, she smelled a scent she never thought she would smell again, 'Frostdine?' She froze.

---

"Oi, Natsu. Are you sure that leaving Lucy all by herself was fine?" Happy asked as the Pinkette was busy sniffing around.

"Hah? Sure she'll be fine. Why? Is something wrong?"

"I mean, sure, Lucy has her keys and all but, she's not really in a good place right now."

"Are you referring to her nightmares?" Natsu asked.

Happy nodded, his ears downcast for a moment. "Lucy's sad."

Natsu looked at him for a few seconds before he continued to walk along the town's market.

"Lucy can handle it. She's my partner, she can handle anything, and she's strong. I believe in her." He said with the utmost confidence in his tone.

Happy frowned, not liking it one bit. But he stayed silent and hoped that Natsu was right.

---

Lucy's eyes were downcast as she met with the group again, her knuckles were kept by her side but was clenched. 

"Lucy, we found a note by the Vice Mayor's house." Erza said as the blonde gave them a sad smile.

"Really? What did it say?"

"Says that they were relocated last night by the King." Gray said with a small anger in his tone.

"And by the time we arrived, they would be nowhere near this place. Apparently the monsters aren't your average monsters on the lose." Erza supplied, "They're demons from the book of Zeref."

Brown eyes blinked, "And where are they now?"

"No one knows." Wendy sighed, "the note said that the demons vanished as soon as the Mayor sent out a job request."

"So all we did was up for nothing." Natsu grumbled. "And we ain't getting paid a single cent!"

"Oh my," Lucy gasped, "That's not good."

"In that case, we should go back to the guild. I'll talk to Master about this. Everything seems too suspicious." Erza told the group.

They nodded in agreement, "Dark magic and potions are all over the place too. That's not a good sign." Lucy sighed, "I'm pretty sure they're hiding something."

"Or someone." Gray snorted. "The Council's always up to something, and it ain't good most of the time."

---

Lucy stood by her window, a frown on her face as she looked at the letter by her table.

She found it back at Lakeland, by the empty alley. It was stuffed between two broken brick walls with blood and grime all over it. The envelope was torn and creased in a few places but the blue wax seal was intact.

Lucy wanted to tell the group about the letter but something in her chest told her to keep it to herself, as selfish as it may be.

This was her Mother's. And she would be damned if they try to handle it in the wrong manner.

Frostdine's scent was something she would never forget. The scent was always hard to describe. It was like the scent of freshly fallen snow, ice that seemed to be frozen for decades. But it was home to her.

She was sure that it was her scent. And she was going to the ends of the world to find her.

---

"Lakeland? My, that's a name I haven't heard in a while." Makarov said as he combed through his beard.

Erza frowned as he continued, "It was a town that was centered in many things. Trade, Magic, Tourists spots, dark magic, even the black market."

"Lakeland was deemed a high - rate town, but the darker side of the town was too populated. People were murdered, stocks were stolen, but the town was in the spotlight for far too many wandering eyes for the Council to make a move on." He said, "and now, you came here to tell me that the whole town was moved overnight by the council no less?"

"We couldn't believe it ourselves, Master. We weren't even made aware that the job was cancelled until we read the note." Erza explained.

Makarov hummed as he nodded, "I will bring this matter up in the next Wizard Saint Meeting. In the meantime," he fixed her a stare, "Find any evidence regarding the council's involvement."

---
A.N:

Yes, I'm alive HAHAHAHA

Next, I might rewrite/delete some details or chapters that don't quite make sense. :3