| Six. |

Rikki stretched and yawned, after waking up late on a Wednesday morning, taking a seat on her couch as she pulled her laptop into her lap and began scrolling through the multiple open tabs she had on the browser. Each of them being different job applications, in which Rikki was trying to fill out.

Stephen had come over and picked up Arika earlier, just so he could bond with the little girl alone for the day. Leaving Rikki some alone time that she mostly spent looking for a few jobs. She sat staring at the current box on the screen, the mouse clicking in and out as it said 'What is your current job?'

Biting down on her lip, Rikki closed the screen to the computer again, getting emotional as she hopped up from the couch and made her way to her bedroom in the back. She grabbed a towel out of the spare closet, deciding to get in the shower as she figured she might as well complete the task of mailing away the DNA tests that she had stashed away for a while.

She shook her head, as the memory of swiping Arika's mouth for some saliva filled her mind, something that she herself wasn't even sure she wanted to do. But what was done, was done and she knew it had to happen eventually. She sighed, turning on the hot water as she stripped out of her clothes and climbed in.

She finished within the next 10 minutes, stepping out and tossing on a pair of jeans, and a old varsity cheerleader sweatshirt. She pulled her braids into a bun, not even bothering with makeup as she made her way out the door and the apartment buildings at once.
She walked down the street, towards the post office with the large envelope in her hand. Contained inside was the cotton swab in which she swabbed Arika, the one Stephen swabbed himself and the one Jamie had Luis swabbed.

She felt uncomfortable, with a odd feeling in the pit of her stomach as she continued walking and before she knew it, she was at her destination. She immediately went towards the mailbox, dropping the envelope inside without any hesitation and taking a deep breath.
And now she just had to wait. Wait until she got the most important news of her life.

Just who exactly was her daughter's father?

-

"There can be one only you..." Rikki sung along with Chris Brown as she poked her lips out and ran a coat of lip gloss over her lips.

"And baby God can never make two..." She continued, before the sound of the doorbell ringing interrupted her, making her drop her MAC shiner right on her vanity dresser.

"Coming!" She called as she caught one last glimpse of herself and walked out the bedroom towards the living room. She reached for the radio remote, turning the R&B music down as she tossed it on the couch and pulled open her front door.

"Ma-ma!" Arika instantly beamed, flashing her toothless grin as Stephen passed the little girl to her Birthgiver.

"Well, hello angel. Give mama a kiss." Rikki poked her lips out as Arika grabbed her face and slobbered all over her cheek.

Rikki laughed, wiping off her daughter's saliva. "How was she?"

"Perfect, as always. I took-" Suddenly Stephen stopped talking, as a familiar shrill voice interrupted his sentence.

Lauren appeared out of nowhere, one arm placed on Stephen's shoulder, as the other cradled a small item in her hand. "Stephen, honey. You left this, I figured it was important."

Stephen's smile faded slowly, as he turned to his fiancée and took hold of what was in her hands. "Lauren, I told you to stay in the car. I was only dropping Arika off, why would I need my wallet?"

Lauren giggled, her blue eyes sparkling. "Oh well, I don't know darling. Just in case."

Rikki awkwardly watched as Stephen shook his head, before deciding to clear the thick tension. "Hi, Lauren."

Lauren turned to her, a fake expression on her face as if she didn't see Rikki standing there. "Oh hello, Rikki. How are you?"

Rikki nodded, patting Arika's back. "I'm fine. Would you like to come in?" She mentally cursed herself out for letting the question escape her lips.

Stephen spoke before Lauren. "We really don't want to intrude."

Lauren smacked him on his arm gently, before enclosing their hands together. "Why, sure we would. Come on, darling."

Rikki awkwardly nodded her head, stepping back as she allowed them to follow her inside. Stephen closed the door behind them, watching as Rikki placed Arika on the couch with one of her many toys laying scattered on the living room floor.

"Would you like something to drink?" Rikki asked, her eyes only on Stephen whom shook his head no as she made her way towards the kitchen.

Lauren clearly didn't catch her fiancé's hint. "Tea would be fine."

"Did this bitch just say some goddamn tea?" Rikki rolled her eyes, before grabbing a mug from her cabinet and placing tapwater inside as she closed it inside the microwave for 2 minutes. The house was silent minus the few whispers coming from Stephen and Lauren as Rikki placed a tea bag inside the water with 2 Splendas and brought it to the couple in her family room.

"This is a nice place you have here, Rikki." Lauren grinned, as Rikki mumbled a thanks and passed her the tea. She took a seat, scooping Arika back onto her lap as she watched Stephen impatiently tap his foot on the ground.

"Stephen told me about the little fling you two used to have. Bet you didn't think Arika would come about, did you?" Lauren spoke, sipping her cup.

Rikki furrowed her eyebrows confused, before shaking her head. "Not at all."

"Yeah. Well, at least she's a little miracle now." Lauren finished, as Rikki played in Arika's curls. Told you.

"Of course."

Lauren nodded her head, before crossing her legs elegantly. "At first, I didn't know whether to be upset or mad. It's-"

"You don't have a right to be mad. What happened with me and Stephen happened before you were even in the picture." Rikki cut her off with a frown, clearly unamused with whatever Lauren had to say.

Lauren coughed, fixing the scarf around her neck. "Yes. I understand that, I was just saying. It's not everyday that my fiancé is telling me that he may or may not have a surprise daughter."

Stephen watched the look on Rikki's face harden and quickly stood to his feet, grabbing Lauren's free arm. "Lauren, I think we overstayed our welcome."

She looked up at him with a bland expression, placing her tea on the coffee table. "Stephen, we are just having a mature conversation. Can't we do that? After all, we're going to be married soon and Arika will be my stepdaughter."

Rikki stood up, appreciating what Stephen was attempting to do. "Yeah, possibly. I'm sorry to rush you Lauren but I have to get some rest for work tonight."

"Why, yes. Of course," She grabbed her purse from beside her, turning to Rikki one final time. "It was rather lovely talking to you, Rikki. I'll see you later."

"Mhm, bye." Rikki waved a nonchalant hand, not bothering to move from her seat.

Stephen watched as his fiancée exited, before looking sorrowfully at Rikki. "I'm sorry about Lauren, she tends to just talk and talk even when-"

"It's okay. Now, if you don't mind, I really do have to get some rest before work." Rikki stifled a fake yawn, rocking Arika back to sleep in her arms.

"Oh yeah. Well, bye cupcake." Stephen bent down, kissing Arika's cheek sweetly. The little girl responded, grabbing his face and giving him her own version. Stephen smiled.

He stood back up to her level. "Bye, Rikki. I'll call you later."

Before she could answer, he turned to the door and made his way out. Rikki sighed, rubbing her forehead as she began walking to her bedroom.

Arika kissed her mother's cheek adoringly. "Ma-ma, kay?"

Rikki kissed her back. "Yeah, baby. Mommy's okay."