7. Frayed

"Walking with a friend in the dark is better than walking alone in the light" 

---

The school bus was driving down the desert road.  

Coach was looking out of the window to look at the scenery, it was rain and thunder outside. Coach looked back at the students before he blew his whistle. "Back to your seat" he said to a student that was standing up looking at the scenery too. 

"Stop thinking about it, man" Isaac said to Boyd who was sitting next to him at the front of the bus "What, you're not thinking about it, too?" Boyd asked "We'll both stop thinking about it" Isaac said "I can't" Boyd said "Well, there's nothing you can do about it either" Isaac said "You sure about that?" Boyd asked and he glanced back at Ethan who was sitting next to Danny in the middle of the bus. 

"Everything okay?" Danny asked and Ethan looked at him "Yeah. Why?" he asked "You checked your phone three times in the last five minutes" Danny said "Waiting for a message" Ethan said "Anything important?" Danny asked "No. Nothing" Ethan said. 

Stiles and Scott were sitting next to each other at the back of the bus. Scott had his head leaned against the window while Stiles was scrolling down the screen on his tablet. 

Harper and James were sitting next to each other in front of them, Harper was drawing in her notebook while James had his head leaned against the window. 

Both James and Scott was lost in the memories of the previous night. 

James closed his eyes and a tear felled from his eyes.

"Yo Scotty. Hey, Scotty" Stiles said making Scott snap out of his thoughts and he looked at Stiles "Still with me?" he asked "Yeah, sorry. What's the word?" Scott asked "Anachronism" Stiles said "Something that exists out of its normal time" Scott said "Nice. Okay, next word, 'Incongruous'" Stiles said "Can you use it in a sentence?" Scott asked "Yes. Yes, I can. Its completely incongruous that we're sitting on a bus right now on our way to some stupid cross-country meet, after what just happened, incongruous" Stiles said "Out of place, ridiculous, absurd" Scott said "Perfect. Okay, next word. Um, Darach" Stiles said and Scott looked at him "Darach, it's a noun" Stiles said and looked at Scott "We have to talk about it sometime, okay? And we're gonna be stuck in this thing for, like, five hours, so why not?" Stiles asked, Scott sighed and rested his head against the window again. 

"Newt word...Intransigent" Stiles said "Stubborn, obstinate" Scott said. 

Then the bus hit a bump making it rattles and Scott groaned a little bit in pain "Oh, buddy, you okay? We shouldn't have come. I knew it. We shouldn't have come" Stiles said "We had to. There's safety in numbers" Scott said "Yeah, well, there's also death in numbers, okay? It's called a massacre or bloodbath, carnage, slaughter, butchery, wow, that's...." Stiles said and Scott groaned in pain again 

"All right, Scott, I'm telling Coach that..." "No. No, no, no. I'm all right" Scott said "Well, you don't look all right. Would you just let me see it?" Stiles asked "I'm okay" Scott said "Just let me see it, okay?" Stiles asked "Okay" Scott said and he lifted up his shirt so Stiles could see. The wound looked pretty bad and it didn't seem to have been healing since last night.

"Oh, dude..." Stiles said "I know it's bad, but it's because they're from an Alpha. It's take longer to heal" Scott said pulling down the shirt again "How come Boyd, Isaac and James are fine then?" Stiles asked.

Scott leaned his head against the window again "I can't believe he's dead. I can't believe Derek's dead" Scott said.

---