Bond

FP slid his arms into his jacket as he walked over to Alice. She was sitting on the couch reading a book. He dipped down and gave her a kiss.

"Where are you going?"

"I'm meeting Tom at the diner."

"For what?"

FP sheepishly rubbed the back of his neck. "Uh, well, dad stuff."

"You know you can always talk to me," Alice sensed that something was looming his mind.

"I know," FP appreciated it. "I just think his specific expertise are what I need right now."

"I understand, honey. Good luck with your dad stuff, okay?"

FP quirked up a cheeky smile. "You know I love you right?"

"I might be aware," Alice chuckled.

"I'll be back soon, Al." FP opened the front door and made his way to his truck.

He found a vacant booth at the diner and thanked Pop when he brought him his cup of coffee. He drank it quietly while he patiently waited for Tom. Fortunately, it was not a long wait for him. His eyes traveled to the door when he heard the bell jingle. Tom looked around and spotted him in the booth. He swiftly made his way over and took a seat in front of him. "Thanks for coming."

"Yeah, no problem. What did you want to talk about?"

FP didn't know how to approach the topic but he wanted his earnest advice. He sat there choked up.

"This big of a topic, huh? You were more talkative when I interrogated you two years ago."

"And look who's the law now," FP smirked. He then sighed. "But on a serious note, I wanted to talk to you about how to be a good father. The way you understand your boy."

"What do you mean?"

"Kevin, you're so good with him. I worry that I might not be so great with my son."

"You're losing me," Tom wasn't getting what he was trying to ask him.

"I don't know if I'm a good father to Charles. I'm afraid I won't be for some odd reason. He's my son and I just want to make sure he knows I will always support him no matter what." FP confessed to the man. "You make it seem like it's no sweat. Your son is gay and I know the kid loves you. Just like you would do anything for him. My son is gay and I want that too. Is there some set of do's and don'ts I'm supposed to abide to? It was different with Jughead. I got to watch him grow up, raise him the best I could, and was there for his first serious relationship with Betty. I didn't get that with Charles but I'm grateful to have him in our lives now. It's just that...it feels like it's supposed to feel different with him."

"Think about it this way, FP, you love your son, correct?"

"Of course." FP stated as a matter of fact.

"Then it's no different from your relationship with Jughead. You love your sons equally. Gay or not, nothing in the world will ever change that. They are your children and as their father you feel this unconditional love for them. It might feel like it will be different but it's not. You're not a bad father. You know that." Tom gave him the reassurance he needed. "If it helps just let him know that you're there for him. Talk to him. Like really talk to him. If he's anything like Alice he could never not love you."

FP left with Tom's words of wisdom.

•••

"Baby is that you?" FP could hear Alice's voice as he stepped into the house.

"Yeah!"

"How did it go?"

"I think it went well."

FP wrapped his arms around her. His body swayed gently from side to side with hers.

"That's good. I'm glad you have a man to talk to again. I know how difficult it must be to not have Fred to talk to."

"When's Charles swinging by again? Do you know?"

"He's in the den, actually."

"Oh," FP said. "I'm going to go talk to him real quick." He kissed her lips then released her.

"Okay," She nodded. "Wait, can you join me on the couch after? We can watch the movie I'm watching together."

"Keep my seat warm."

FP walked to the den to go find their son. He was in the middle of a phone call. Charles looked up and saw him so he wrapped up his phone call. "Yes, I can this weekend. We can discuss the case then. Thank you. Goodbye." Charles turned his phone off and shoved it into his pocket. "Hey, when did you come back? Mom said you were out."

"I just got back. Can we talk?"

"Uh, sure. What's up?"

"How do you feel about me?" He was straight to it. "Do you think I'm a good father? I know I was a rotten one for your brother and sister. I invested so much time into turning that around the past year though. And you, I still have so much time to make up for."

"Yeah, why wouldn't I?" He furrowed his eyebrows. "It's not like parents are perfect anyway."

"I want you to know that I'm always here for you. For anything. I don't care what it is." FP put a hand on his shoulder. He then pulled him into a hug. "Because I love you, son."

"Love you too, dad." Charles hugged him back.

FP smiled at that. "How about you come join me and your mom for a movie?"

"Let's go," He agreed.

The two walked out of the room and to the living room. "There are my two handsome boys," Alice cheerfully said. "Come over here and keep me warm with a snuggle."