Wedding 2

FP groaned as he was being put into the back of the ambulance. The rest of his family crowded around the paramedics.

Jellybean cried into Jughead's shirt. Archie stayed by his side for emotional support. As did Betty. Polly was inside trying to calm her children down.

"I understand that ma'am, but we can't crowd the vehicle." One of the paramedics stopped Alice from going with him.

"That's my husband! I'm supposed to be by his side."

"Mom! Here, go with him!" Charles jumped off. He was willing to give up his spot for her. "He needs you more." Alice gratefully accepted the gesture and went to go sit by FP's side. She held his hand and touched his face with the other. Her face softened with the broken look in his eyes. "You're going to be okay, honey. Stay strong for me, please."

The doors shut behind the two paramedics that went inside with them. "He's been shot in the chest before, months ago to be specific. Is that going to affect him?" Archie informed the paramedic.

"Don't forget about the arm,"Jughead added. He thought mentioning that would be just as sufficient.

"We'll be monitoring that." He nodded and with urgency he went to go sit behind the wheel. The sirens turned on and the ambulance was making its way to the hospital as fast as it possibly could.

***

FP got rolled down the hallway towards one of the operating rooms upon reaching the emergency room. He was flickering in and out of consciousness in his state. "He's already lost a lot of blood!" A paramedic caught the attention of a doctor.

"The OR," Dr. Patel directed them. FP was rushed in. He then turned to Alice. He offered her a sympathetic look as he saw their dress attire. "I'm sorry, but you can't be in there. Medics only." Alice got the doors shut in her face. She was only able to look in through the glass window. She had to watch them lift him up from the gurney and onto the operating table. They were cutting through his shirt to get to his wound. The blood was everywhere. Alice couldn't look away even though the sight hurt too much.

She looked at his exposed Serpent tattoo. With that she hoped for the best because as one of their laws said, in unity, there is strength. They were united as a family so he had to have all the strength he needed.

"Mom," Betty came in with some of the others. Charles had driven them from not so far behind. Polly and Archie got a ride back to his house thanks to his mother. He didn't want to overwhelm them at the hospital and she thought it was best to keep the twins away until things cooled down.

Alice turned around with a grimace. Betty and Jellybean both hugged her. They walked her over to the chairs in the lobby. She sat down and dug her face into her hands.

Jughead stared into the operation room. Charles put a hand on his shoulder. "He's in good hands." He assured his brother. "Let's not dwell over the worst."

"This wasn't supposed to happen," They shared a look. "We have to find out who did this."

"And we will. But right now we have to be there for our family. We have to be strong for dad."

"You've probably dealt with things like this in your line of work. What are his chances here, realistically?" Jughead asked a question in which the answer would terrify him.

"Hey, he's pulled through two times already. Third time's the charm." He gave him the hope they needed to have. "He will be fine. We know he will." He turned him away from the doors and led him to the women. They took the seats beside them. Now they just had to patiently wait.