37 - memories

Luke started to wonder if it was Calum he really hated, or himself.

It was hard to tell as his eyes glanced over a photo of the two of them; one where Luke's hair was shorter and Calum's sported a fading blond streak. The quality was questionable but he recognized it immediately.

It was dated sometime around Luke's 18 birthday. The pair was sat in a booth of a bar they weren't supposed to be at but had successfully snuck into; something they did quite often. He remembered that day rather well, though you wouldn't guess it by the bloodshot eyes and the lazy smile on his face.

Luke cringed. He'd been absolutely wasted in that photo. Calum had been a few drinks deep himself, but it was nothing compared to the hangover the boy remembered having the next day. It hadn't been the first time, and it certainly wouldn't be the last.

"Woah," Elise murmured, glancing from the boy in the picture to the man currently beside her. "You look so—"

"Drunk." He muttered.

She sent him a small smile. "I was gonna say young,"

Luke pursed his lips. Speaking from his experience, those were one in the same. He decided not to share that with her, though.

They'd left the diner sometime around two in the morning, exhausted. Luke was craving alone time with his girl and it was obvious to everyone, including the roommate who promised an empty apartment for the night. And when they got there, the two of them fell asleep almost instantly, collapsed atop the plush blankets and soft sheets of Elise's bed, arms wrapped tightly around each other.

He was drained, for he hadn't realized just how many memories he'd been holding onto until each one started to spill from his lips.

It had been a lot for him; Elise could tell. He wasn't one to enjoy reminiscing but he did it for her, anyways, and that meant something.

And now, in the morning after, he felt he owed her even more. Perhaps that's why he'd handed her his phone, pulled up with pictures from his youth that he hadn't dared to look at in years. Of course, she hadn't asked, but he knew his girl well and she'd been curious of his past friendships since day one, and he didn't want to hide anything from her anymore.

"When was this?" She blinked up at him, her voice light and curious.

"My birthday," he murmured. The more he stared at the photo, the more resent he felt for his younger self. "Four years ago,"

Elise nodded. Luke noticed her head tilt slightly as she gazed at the photo, and he couldn't explain the nerves he felt as he sat next to her.

She was so intrigued and Luke wished he had more to offer her. All he had were a couple photos and some incomplete stories, largely in part due to his inability to get to the ending—to the real reason the boy next to him in the photo absolutely hated his guts.

He couldn't do it. He was too worried about what she might think of him, regardless of the circumstances.

Ashton didn't let him get that far anyways. As soon as the name 'Macy' came up, he changed the subject and Luke was grateful. They didn't need to get into that right then, not all at once.

"Ashton...he has more pictures than I do," He cleared his throat as she scrolled to the next photo, a different snap of Calum and him. He wasn't sure why he felt the need to explain himself, but nevertheless he did. "These are the only ones I kept,"

She glanced over at him. He seemed fidgety, like it made him nervous to have her see them. It surprised her, for Luke very rarely—if ever—seemed to get nervous.