Acid Fog

Forever we remain oblivious to the future, 
lost to the past and enduring our torture. 
Forever we take chances to settle our scores, 
losing some battles and winning some wars. 
Forever praying out loud hoping someone will hear, 
forever crying softly but never shedding a tear. 
Forever exists behind a disguise, 
but the belief in forever keeps our hearts alive.
-Terri Nicole Tharrington

Today I did have a patient, a young girl. She had go an arrow in her leg at training. Being a warrior honestly seems exhausting. 

I pulled out the arrow from her leg and she flinched holding in a scream. I looked at the poor girl. 

"You know it's okay to cry." I said. The girl looked at me as if I had said something insane. It seems all warriors have so sense of self-preservation. Every one I have ever treated told me their injuries are no big deal.

"I'm a warrior, I am not weak. I don't even need your help" She stated proudly, crossing her arms in protest.

"Crying doesn't not make weak. Running away, lying. That's what makes you weak. Crying shows me your still in there. And even the strongest warriors need help every once in a while." I said bandaging the girls wounds. She winced again. I gave her an apologetic look.

I don't think she truly understood what I was saying, but I felt better saying. I was done wrapping her leg and I was helping her stand up. I let go of her and she wobbled a little before straightening her self.

She started limping towards the door, she barley made it halfway there before she turned around to face me. I braced myself for her telling me that she did in fact need help. "Your not weak either." Was all she said.

It threw me off. Few warriors acknowledged my strength, and even fewer actually meant it when they did. Here was a young girl barley older than fourteen who just got an arrow to the leg, telling me I was strong. It almost brought tears to my eyes.

"I want to see you everyday, and no training until I say so." I replied. I never did know how to take a complement.

The girl smiled, and nodded, she then left the med bay. I turned around with a smile blushing.

"Well arn't you a giddy school girl?" Kodiak said. I rolled my eyes.

"It's nice to appreciated every once in a while." I said with a smile. Kodiak smiled back. I could tell he was about to reply a snarky comment when the horn blew. Kodiak exchanged panicked faces.

Acid Fog.

In a matter of seconds we were running around the med bay sealing bottles, putting lids on bowls. Acid fog can seep into some of our medicines, we lose alot of our supplies. When we finished we closed the door to the med bay, not that it did much good as we found there was some sort of leak in the med bay. As I walked out I noticed the camp was already empty. I then turned around, and saw the fog was coming from the direction of the bunker. I grabbed Kodiak's arms and started sprinting in the opposite direction, I soon remembered Kodiak's limitation's. 

I slowed to a jog, to keep up with him. Kodiak seemed to be struggling with even that. I glanced behind us, the acid fog was slowly creeping though the forest, engulfing it in the orange haze.

"Just leave me behind." Kodiak puffed out. 

"What is it that you warriors say? 'No man left behind?'" I answered, slightly offended that Kodiak would think that leaving him behind had even crossed my mind.

"Your're not a warrior Niss." Kodiak tried to remind me. I rolled my eyes as I jogged forward with him. 

I looked around, and recognized the area. There was an old bunker that Ridge and I used to play in all the time. I smiled, and lead Kodiak towards the bunker.

"I don't like it that you smiling." Kodiak muttered as I spared a glance behind us. The fog was gaining ground on us. I felt my breath start to speed up. But I found the bunker quickly. I opened the hatch and made Kodiak go in first. He looked like he was going to argue, but he saw the fog quickly approaching a though better of it.

I went in after him. I closed over the door just as the fog swept over where I had been standing. My breathing was hard, even though the running wasn't that hard. I think it had just been the fear. The fear of me dying.

I found myself thinking about the sky people. I hoped they were able to escape the acid fog.

I know I'm not supposed to worry about the enemy. But I can't help it. No one deserves death by acid fog. Its awful, slow and painful, and we can usually not do anything for them but put them out of their misery. I always make Kodiak do it, because I don't want to be a killer at sixteen.

"Looks like it is just you and me." Kodiak spoke, snapping me out of my momentary daze.

"What ever should we do with ourselves?" I asked with a smile. Kodiak smiled. And he looked around the bunker. I helped.

Suddenly Kodiak laughed. I looked up at him. He was holding up an old CD. I smiled as he plopped it into a a CD player, and it took a minute, but the music started. I laughed, and the two of us shimmied and danced up a storm.

The next song to play was a slow song, and Kodiak smiled and held out his hand for me. "Dance with me?" Kodiak asked.

I smiled taking his hand and he spun me so that we were chest to chest. Slowly we swayed to the music. I enjoyed it so much. Back in the village we are barley ever able to listen to music. This was perfect, it almost made me forget about the death toll that was probably going on just above my head. For this moment, everything was fine.

Rain is the gif on the side.