The Name Game

I didn't sleep at all night, I was terrified that someone was going to find the cloth and would come in. They would take me away, probably kill me for helping the enemy. But night turned to day, and no one came in looking for my head.

I cautiously made my way to the med bay. I entered the med bay to see Kodiak. He turned to look at me, and I jumped a little my heart beating out of my chest. He had this disappointed/mad look on his face. Oh no! He knew. He knew what I have done!  

"Nissa, how could you?" He asked. My eyes widened in fear. "How could you come in late, you know I have to go to the other tribe today."  Kodiak finished.

I let out a breath. Of course he didn't know.

I smiled and rolled my eyes at Kodiak, letting him know he was free to go. He smiled slinging a bag over his shoulder. He left kissing the top of my head. I smiled and watched as he left. I then heard the sky person screaming.

I shut my eyes. Like squeezing my eyes shut would be able to keep the sound out. I rubbed my hand through my hair. I didn't want to hear this screaming. I didn't want to hear his cries. I wanted this to be over.

The screaming got louder, until it stopped. I saw the warriors leave. I wonder slightly if they were going to lunch. But it matter, I grabbed some stuff for healing, and then ran to the sky boy.

This time he was bloodier. Blood matted his dark hair to his sweaty face. He had one painfully big black eye. It appeared to be swollen. They had removed his shirt, and deep cuts crossed over his chest. Those were going to get infected. He was kneeling his arms shackled in front of his knees, but his head was lolled to the side. He just looked so broken. It was heart wrenching.

I walked up to him. When he say me he gave me a tired smile, and said something. I didn't understand it though. I shook my head, and tried out my English. "No. . . English." I said slowly, pointing to myself. He looked a little shocked by my statement, but slightly nodded and I knelled in front of him. I heard him say a bunch of words, and the only one I caught was English.

I began to tend to his wounds. He was hurt a lot more then yesterday, and I felt remorse for how my people treated him. This poor boy, he didn't deserve this.

All of a sudden he was moving his hands. I stopped and watched as he pointed to his chest. Then, speaking slowly he said one word. "Murphy." I looked at the boy confused.

Was he saying his chest hurt? Was that how you say it in English. I shook my head a bit, and started tending his chest, because that's what he evidently wanted me to do, but then the boy grabbed my hands.

I let out a sharp gasp. Was he going to hunt me? And after all I have done for him!

But instead of hurting me, he used my hands to gesture to his whole body, then he reappeared Murphy. It took me a minute to understand, but then I got it! His name is Murphy (What a weird name) and he was trying to communicate with me. I smiled.

"You. . . Murphy?" I asked. My English was choppy at best. It sounded much different when I spoke it than when the boy spoke. My voice had a different sound to it.

The boy smiled and nodded at my answer. So his name is Murphy. I felt slightly accomplished.

 I then pointed to my own chest and said just as slowly as Murphy had "Nissa." 

Murphy nodded, and I smiled. I could see that he was genuinely  happy. And in that moment it was just the two of us. It was Murphy and Nissa. There was nothing bad, no war coming on the horizone. It was just a girl, a girl who risked a lot to become friends with a boy, a boy whose people had destroyed much. It was like the friendship version of Romeo and Juliet. 

I could tell Murphy felt it too, because he had a dream like smile on his face, which was not from blood loss thank you very much, and he looked happy. I reached up again trying to heal a few more of his wounds when I heard the door. 

I gather my things and left before Murphy could say another word, even though I could tell he wanted to. I just ran like I had before, and like before when I got back I was terrified they would find out about what I had done.