Chapter 6

He probably should have studied a lot more. Staring off into space at night instead of using that time to do something productive was definitely going to catch up to him somewhere in life. Perhaps right now. The feeling of nervousness didn't cover what emotions were rising up inside him.

35%

Yesterday, Teruki joked that he could just use his psychic powers as a way to ace the exam without even studying. Of course, he had refused, with an indignant expression on his face and a need to lecture his friend about their powers. But now, as he stood outside of the testing center for university admission, the option didn't seem so undesirable anymore. Shigeo hated himself for even considering the option. Perhaps if he was more like Ritsu, he wouldn't have dug himself in such a deep hole. Ritsu wouldn't freak out over a competitive test that would probably determine the events of the rest of your life, because Mob's little brother would have no trouble coming out in the top twenty scores.

In fact, if Ritsu was here right now, he'd pick up a cup of coffee or take a walk around the park while he waited for the center to open. Sometimes, Shigeo so desperately wished that he was more like his younger sibling.

On Reigen's advice, Mob had arrived ten minutes early. Since the test was placed in winter, snow slowed many of the other test-takers down. With how unlikely he was to actually pass the test, Mob didn't want another factor contributing to the fact that he didn't have the same academic skills as his peers.

At a last desperate attempt, he tried to recall some of the things he had learned while he studied. There were a few formulas and concepts that ingrained themselves in his mind, but Shigeo had a horrible feeling there were many more he had forgotten. Or maybe hadn't even learned to begin with. God, he just wanted to crouch down in the middle of the road and cry until he drowned himself in his own tears.

He had turned his family away when they offered to accompany him to the testing center. Reigen had a meeting with a client that couldn't be put aside. He was all alone.

"You're looking a little pale there."

Was what Dimple would have commented if he were here. Hey. That didn't sound right. Mob looked up. And sure enough, there he was, the little green spirit that had followed him around wherever he went since they met at age fourteen. "Dimple," Mob said, sighing in relief.

Dimple grinned. "Glad to see me?"

"You don't even know," Mob muttered. It was getting a little cold. He pulled his hands out of his warm pockets and pressed them against his bitter cheeks. "I have the admission test soon."

"Yeah, I have a pair of eyes, I can tell," Dimple said sarcastically. "You seem like you're on the verge of a mental breakdown."

That was because Shigeo was on the verge of a mental breakdown. If he let go of just a little on the hold of control he had on his emotions, the buildings around would go flying in a matter of seconds. Mob could feel the beads of sweat collecting on his forehead despite the sheer cold he was exposed to. The feelings of his stomach churning were enough for him to throw up the breakfast he could barely force in this morning. His hands were trembling. With the anxious way he gnawed at the inside of his lip, it was no surprise that only moments later the metallic taste of blood filled his mouth.

40%

His heart was pounding, and his breathing was shallow. Mob wondered mindlessly if he had just run a marathon without even knowing. Shigeo's head was throbbing, and if he pressed his fingers together hard enough, he could feel his pulse under his skin.

Reigen would probably laugh himself to death at the state he was in just because of a test. Reigen. He wanted to talk to his master right now. Shigeo needed the blond's confident voice and choppy hand gestures. He needed Reigen to be at his side, radiating bravery and boldness like he always did. Mob wished that he was half as daring as his shishou.