Chapter 8

"I can't believe you're already going to university," Serizawa was shaking his head in disbelief, eyes wide like saucers and running a hand through the dark hair on his head that was beginning to look as if it needed another cut. That was the twelfth time he'd said the phrase if Reigen was solely counting today. Each time that the large man repeated it, Reigen's lower eyelid would twitch uncontrollably and Mob would ogle at the ground as if he was on the verge of retching up his lunch. Serizawa was too busy marveling at the strange thought than noticing their odd reactions. Dimple was the only one who didn't care about the new chapter of Mob's life. It didn't matter to him; he could travel extended distances at speeds that were unachievable for the living.

The green spirit placed his hands vaguely where his hips should have been if he had had them. "Serizawa, you're a college-dropout too, right"

Serizawa turned away, his flush spreading all the way to the back of his neck. "Y-yes."

"You don't have to say it so bluntly, Dimple," Reigen grumbled, rising from his chair and stretching after a rare day of only sitting. He knew he was only twenty-five, but he was also sure that he wasn't imagining the ache forming in his back.

The spirit rolled his eyes and made a crude face. "You're only complaining because you're also a college-dropout," he retorted.

All three members of Spirits and Such were gathered in front of Reigen's desk, plus Dimple fluttering in the air. It was strangely nostalgic. Usually, they busied themselves by cutting Serizawa's overgrown hair. Today, however, would be the last time in a long while that they were together, with Mob being busy with his academics. There was still a few minutes before they closed up, and Serizawa was using the short time gap to say goodbye to Mob, although it wasn't going very well with the constant babble of Dimple.

"L-look, you guys," Serizawa finally stammered, holding up his hands in front of his chest in an effort to appear calm and collected. "We really shouldn't argue on Kageyama-senpai's last day in the office."

Reigen was shuffling from foot to foot nervously before he realized that he should have been playing the role of the responsible adult. He stuck a hand in his suit pocket and leaned against the desk. "Good point," he said with a nod as he patted Mob's back. When the boy flinched, Reigen withdrew and scrunched his eyebrows together. He observed his disciple's face carefully as he said, "relax, Mob-kun. You're going to be visiting us once a while anyway. You'll never even notice that we're not by your side because of all the friends you're going to make.

He had tried for a tone that leaned more on the soothing side rather than confident, but the slight change evidently didn't work as well as he hoped. Mob continued staring at the ground, his eyes mundane and as lifeless as usual. Reigen had to admit he was a good actor when it came to hiding his feelings. If he didn't know the boy, he would have assumed he was tired of this conversation. But seven years with Mob hadn't been wasted, and Reigen had learned most of his student's ticks and cues that hinted what he felt by now. He pretended to not notice the way the pen on his desk was quivering.

"Relax, Mob," he repeated.

"Yes, shishou," Mob mumbled.

Serizawa took the chance and drew in a deep breath. He pressed his fingers together anxiously. If he was any more nervous, sweat would have been pouring down his face. "Kageyama-senpai," he began. "Thank you, really, for all you've done for me – without your help, I would probably still be dragging an umbrella everywhere. You turned my life around." He smiled sheepishly. "So, please, do you best in college! I'm really sorry I won't be there to see you off... I have a meeting with an old friend tomorrow. Have fun, Kageyama-senpai."

"Thank you," Mob said in a soft voice. Serizawa who had been holding back his tears all this time squeezed his eyes together. Mob hesitantly pulled the older man into an awkward hug, face pinching up in worry when Serizawa's waterworks went underway. "I'll miss you."