PROLOGUE - A Normal Day In Mystic Falls

Excuse the dodgy formatting and slow start guys. Remember, it's the prologue! The story will kick off in present-Legacies day in the next part! XD 

It was a normal day in the town of Mystic Falls, Virginia.

The sun hung brightly in the hot, midday sky. The historic town square hummed with the quiet activity of the townspeople. The smell of fries and sizzling burger meat wafted from the Mystic Grill. And the rowdy Timberwolf jocks laughed and jaunted down the main street, cheerleaders on one arm and bags of food in the other.

But the most normal thing about today?

A pissed off Caroline Forbes-Salvatore.

"How the hell could you do this?!"

The Salvatore Boarding School For The Young and Gifted sat on the edge of town, tucked away in the forests like an old statue in a manor garden. Past it's enchanted iron gates and within it's burgundy, wooden walls sat the Headmaster's office. And within this office, Caroline was delivering one of her signature verbal thrashings.

The recipient? A mysterious benefactor of the school - a man who had almost no contact with Caroline or the school until a week ago.

Most of the school's contributors visited the school on occasion or even stayed in town as guests. But this benefactor didn't even set foot in the school.

No visit, no inspection, only a cheque for fifty-thousand dollars and one other item - a lapis-blue drawstring bag.

And then there was the third thing the donor left at the school - the reason why Caroline was so angry today.

"Are you even going to say goodbye?" Caroline asked, indicating to the hallway outside. "Or are you just going to dump him here like a piece of trash? Come on! He deserves a goodbye at le-"

Dial tone.

"Hello? Hello?! Dammit!"

Caroline groaned as she slammed the phone back onto the hook. But her frustration overtook her self-control, cracking the phone in half and knocking a photo frame over in the process.

"Oh, for f-!"

But she stopped the final word before it slipped out, her attention shifting to the toppled photograph.

Caroline sighed as she picked it up, dusting off the edge of the frame with a weak smile.

The photo held two subjects, Caroline in a pearl-white wedding dress and a handsome, dark-haired man in a suit.

Caroline sat on the man's lap in the photo, their wedding rings shining brightly in the sunlight and their smiles even brighter.

Stefan... Caroline thought sadly.

Memories bubbled to the surface as she closed her eyes; memories of one day in particular.

It was the first days of Caroline becoming a vampire, a day when she and Stefan had traded stories of their experiences.

He had told her about the tumultuous emotions that came with vampirism, that one's human traits were 'magnified'.

Caroline had been uneasy about her chances of becoming an over the top, vampiric drama queen. Stefan however, seemed amused by the fact.

But now, here she was - letting that drama queen show as she talked back to the school's newest donor, thinking she knew what it meant to be a headmistress or a people-person. All because she let her emotions get the better of her.