Chapter Three: I'm Thinking That Maybe, Baby, I'll Go Away

Severus spent his double potions mid-morning period with the fifth-year Gryffindor and Slytherin class not even attempting to look at their Draught of Peace. He noticed that Ginevra Weasley had a happily flushed look about her face, and thought it had something to do with her sitting with Draco that morning at breakfast. Ever since the youngest Weasley child had gotten over her childish obsession with Harry, she had proved to be a bright young woman, with a kind disposition, and a very talented witch indeed. Severus firmly believed that Ginevra would be good for Draco, if their relationship ever became a romantic one, as he thought she could bring comfort to him.

Once the fifth-years had decantered their efforts—with Miss Weasley receiving an 'Outstanding' for her work—he sent them all on their way. Resolving to speak to Remus before lunch, as he was finished until then, and knew that the wolf would be as well, he made his way from the dungeons and to the Serpentine Corridor on the third-floor, where he saw Remus dismissing the sixth-year Gryffindor and Slytherin class. He nodded at Draco, and allowed his eyes to do the speaking with Harry, letting him know that he would see him later as all the students meandered towards their next class, charms.

Remus looked up at Severus, and smiled warmly at his former adversary; in the wake of Riddle's return after the Triwizard Tournament, Albus had confided in a select few members of the Order of the Phoenix—among them Remus, Kingsley Shacklebolt, Minerva, Filius, Pomona, and Tonks, a young Auror that had captured Remus's attention—that Severus was a spy for the Light and could, therefore be trusted. "Severus, I didn't expect to see you until lunch," Remus said, offering his hand to Severus to shake, which Severus took. "I take it, however, that this is hardly a social call."

Severus shook his head. "I'm afraid not."

Remus nodded. "I see." Quickly, he spelled the door shut behind him and warded the classroom before spreading his hands. "Very well, then. What can I do for you, Severus?"

"You know of my condition as I know of yours."

Remus nodded a second time; he did know. After Remus had accidentally almost murdered Severus in their final year of school, Severus had come to him in the wake of his own transformation, and Remus felt a little relieved to know someone who wasn't human as well. "I do know of it, Severus. Please, go on."

Severus sighed. "I have found my mate."

Remus smiled at him. "Oh, Severus, that's wonderful," the werewolf replied, his tone mellow as it usually proved to be. "Who is he?"

"Well..."

Remus looked Severus over then, smelling the shame and regret, and a third scent, one that was unmistakably Harry. "It... It is Harry, then?"

Severus nodded. "It is. But I want you to know that I've only known a few weeks for sure that that was what this was, and that we haven't..."

"I understand, Severus, completely. I appreciate you not forcing him into anything. He had been through a lot for one so young."

"I would never, Remus, I swear it. I merely informed him of the dynamics of it, so to speak, and I fully intend on courting him with the intention of marriage. I will likely not be completely intimate with him until said marriage, however, unless Harry wishes it and, if the occasion arises, I will instruct him to think it over, and that we will talk about it."

Remus nodded. "That sounds very agreeable."

"I come to seek your permission to court him, Remus, with the view of proposing to him by the Christmas holidays," Severus said quietly. "I know it is not far away, but Harry has already made himself open to it."

Remus mulled over the proposition for a moment. "And do you intend to turn him into a vampire, once you are married?"

"Harry has expressed an interest, yes," Severus told him quietly. "I intend to have Miss Granger know about it soon, so as she can recommend some reading on the subject for Harry. For the moment, she and Mr. Weasley seem to know him the best, alongside Miss Weasley, when it comes to his friends around his own age."