Chapter 15: Stay Cagey

April and Irma had lost their pursuers and finally stopped amid the junk for a much-needed rest. Time to catch a breath, and to think about their next move. April was kicking herself. Not literally - that would have confused her companion more than a little - but certainly in her mind. After defiantly refusing the Foot's attempt to make her betray her friends once, she came so close to falling for it the second time - All it had taken was for the offer to be repackaged with some bogus peace talks and the chance to get free from those ropes.

Anyway. Learn and move on. Never again.

"Yeah..." She considered carefully before continuing. "Look, Irma, I know some people who might be able to deal with this... Well, you know, I say people..."

"You mean the Turtles...?" Irma's answer came back quickly and almost casually, and made April look at her in astonishment.

"OK... You've met them, then... Looks like a lot was going on while I was stuck in that junkyard. Anything else I need to know...?"

Irma thought for a moment, and bit her lip. "Well... I suppose there is. I was going to save this for later, but I should probably tell you now..." Once she had made her mind up, Irma's confession came out in a rush. "I was spying on you. I was following orders, but that's no excuse, I know that's no excuse. I snuck into your office, and I found your Renaissance Boys note and that led me to the Turtles' place, and I met Donny, and then all the others. And I'm sorry, I really am. Sorry..."

Waiting patiently for her to finish, April didn't exactly look thrilled but she took this news better than Irma had feared. She said just one word. "Ed?"

"Yeah."

"OK."

"It's fine, I know you won't want me to be your assistant after this is over, I know. And it's fine. It's OK. I'll resign."

April's amusement grew as Irma went on. "I forgive you," she said laconically, when it was time to reply.

"I know, I- Really?"

"Really. Hey, you're better than my last assistant. He is well and truly fired. But you know, right now, we've got a bit of an emergency going on. So, maybe..."

"Yeah... Yeah, of course..."

April thought for a moment. "I know we should probably head back to the station, we really should, but I'm going to try to contact the guys first. You don't need to come – you can go and report to Ed, make sure he sees you being great in a crisis..."

Irma looked hesitant. "Uh, if you don't mind I'd rather go with you. Unless... Yeah, OK..."

April frowned, confused. "What...?"

"No, it's not... It's just... I know you were with them long before I came along. I don't want to... you know... get in the way."

"No... That's not it... Uh, no, I'm not..." Realizing the extent of the misunderstanding, April was a little flustered. "I'm not being jealous here, OK?"

"Yeah, of course."

April thought for a moment. "OK, change of plan. We both join the Turtles and see what we can do to help. Ed will just have to manage without us."

"He's got Jim McNaughton filling in."

April couldn't help herself - she laughed, before stifling the reaction. "Yeah... Good old Jim... My first day, he clicked his fingers at me and demanded I get him coffee."