Yazuac

It took nearly a week for Nico to track down Eragon and Brom. Nico had the advantage of speed by flying on Achilles back. But since Brom and Eragon had taken horses, he had to land every couple of miles to pick up the trail. they also had to stay far enough way that Eragon's dragon wouldnt smell them, since they had decided not to reveal themselves just yet. Nico was aware enough of the history of the dragon riders, and the politics of the Varden and empire to know that a new rider materialising out of thin air will upset the balance of power in ways he couldnt predict.But finally achilles hovered in place. and reached into Nicos mind.

I smell something nasty. Nico raises an eyebrow. What? Achilles considers for a second. like if a grizly bear had festuring lesions. Styx, Nico curses. Urgals. It takes nico all of five minutes to verify that Eragon's trail is going straight towards the urgals. which he had of course expected. he had too much experience with quests to expect anything different. "Heros!" Nico curses out loud as he climbs Onto achilles back. They cant take three steps out of their house without walking into certain death." Achilles snakes his hand around and looks straight into Nicos eyes. Arent we doing the same thing? Nico smirkes. Its different for me, Death is an old friend. Achilles sends nico a feeling of profound unimpression. Your word play is sloppy at best. With that he leaped into the air and flewtowards the fight.

As they approach the village they immediately realize something is wrong. There is no smoke rising from the chimneys. No sign of habitation. I smell death. Achilles thinks to Nico. Nicos stomach drops. Urgals have been marching through this area. they must have sacked the village. A surge of rage and sadness passes through Nico as he thinks about all the innocent and helpless people who had been killed. Achilles quickly starts speaking again in hopes of distracting Nico from his sadness. Hopefully at least they were already gone when the two legs hatchling rider, and the two legs old one not rider, and the blue scales female dragon, came through. Nico smirkes and lets his gratitude for the change of subject pass through their mental link. In all my life ive never been that lucky. as if to prove Nicos point they suddenly hear the unmistakeable clang of blades on blades.

We should fly down! insists Achilles. I will tear the two leg horns limb from limb and thrash them on the ground untill all their bones are broken. Nico shakes his head. We cant reveal ourselves. not yet. it will raise too many questions that im not ready to answer. Achilles begrudgigly concedes the point. but Nico sense his obvious irritation at missing out on a good fight. So what are we going to do. Nico thinks for a second, then smirks. And he senses Achilles satisfaction with the clever means of killing their prey. Nico closes his eyes and channels his underworld power, and feels his body goes limps as his spirits leaves his body and floats down to earth.

As soon as Nicos ghost materializes on the ground he realizes its different. Since he first learned to astral project his spirit had materialized as a silvery translucent image of his body. While most ghosts glowed the same silvery color, he glowed the same deep rich violet as his sword and now Achilles. Of course after he had banished the spirit of king Minos it had also begun to appear with a pitch black crown on his head, marking him as the ghost king. But now he looked less human altogether. He still had his same basic shape.but it seemed there was another shape super imposed within his. A shape with claws, scales, and a tail. Our souls are linked. Achilles says. Even in the spirit realm we are one. Nico nods but before he can respond he hears a horse whimper and then a cream of rage. "Styx" he curses then runs towards the Frey.

Two urgals are chasing a teenager, who Nico figures must be Eragon, into an alley. A quick image from Achilles shows him that the alley is a dead end. He floats after them. When Nico enters the alley he finds two Urgals slowly approaching Eragon. He has his bow raised but the urgals are guarded by their shields. None of them can see him in ghost form. Nico floats over to Eragon, who has a look of defiance on his face. But at the same time Nico sees resignation, as if he knows he is going to die and has accepted it. Nico takes a deep breath and steps into Eragon.

Nico may not have thought this through. In order to succeed he would need to manipulate Eragons mind without being detected. That's difficult enough even if he didnt have to also avoid the blue dragon. And he had to do this in just a few seconds. He shifts through Eragons mind untill he finds the supply of magic. He had hoped to subtlety guide Eragon to it but the Urgals are only a few yards away. So instead he smashes the barrier and whispers to Eragons subconscious. "Brisingr". As the magic flows through Eragon, Nico carefully shapes Eragons thoughts to control the magic. Then once the urgals are dead, he floats gently out of Eragons body.