Hudson

(:   Four chapters and 2 months in, and I'm only just realizing that I lost a little more than half of this chapter. (: How fun (:

Guys, I'm so sorry for the inconvenience, I promise I will come back to this chapter and redo the second half. Trust me, I'm as bummed out as you guys. I remember the second half being really witty, but that was two friggin' months ago so I can barely remember half of what I actually wrote in detail. But I would hate to leave this as is, so I will come back and fix this in the future.

Prompt: You're a small bookshop owner who always closes up before the sunsets. But one night you run a little behind scheduled and are met with something you never would had expected.

The lights were on, he was sure of it. Even in the distance he could tell. 

It was no secret that Hudson didn't know how to read. But when a new friend had shown him the value in the written word, well, Hudson started to have an appreciation for it. Over the course of the last few months, Hudson's friend, Robbins, lent him book after book. Now, Robbins did have his own library, but considering Hudson was still learning it stands to reason that they would need simpler books to start off and work with. 

Robbins knew of a local little book shop which he was able to rent out books, lend them to Hudson for a little bit and then return them. Hudson offered to return the books himself; he knew how he looked and the likely scenario that would play out if a human were to see him. But Robbins was already doing so much for him, dropping off a few books was the least he could do in return. However, it didn't take long to realize that the woman who owned the shop never seemed to stay open into the night. No matter how early Hudson would go, the shop was always closed by nightfall. It always looked as if the building itself was asleep. So he soon gave up on the idea that he would ever see the shop in opperating hours. But one night was different.

Robbins had fallen ill. Nothing too serious, but he couldn't do much aside from resting up in bed. The problem with that was that a book he had rented out, well the due date for its return was tomorrow, and everyday that the book happened to be late, Robbins would be given a fee. 

Hudson had decided, considering Robbins was indisposed with his sicken, that he would return the book. The elder gargoyle understood that this night would be just like all the other nights, no lights on and a locked door. But he figured that if he left the book by the door then perhaps the shopkeeper would see it in the morning. He considered asking Elisa for assistance, but considering how unpredictable her job is and the fact that she could be called onto a crime scene at any given moment, he really didn't have any other options.

But surprisingly, as he flew closer and closer to the building, he saw a gleam of light. And for once the bookshop was awake.

Hudson flew down to the side of the bookshop, peering around the corner into the front window. He didn't see anyone in sight. If he could just slip in and drop off the book, he'd be in the clear.

Hudson looked down at the doorknob hesitently. The lights were on, but was the door unlocked?

Click.

The gargoyle pushed open the door as gently as he could. Taking one step in, he looked around again. Still clear, and the main counter was just up ahead. But you see, something Hudson failed to realize was that, when in the dark, the shop gave off the illusion that it wasn't that crowded. But that couldn't be farther from the truth. Meaning, even thought Hudson was walking as calmly and slowly as he could, his wing still accidently knocked over a small stack of books onto the floor. 

The noise felt defending in the quiet.

"Hey listen! Just because the lights are on doesn't mean we're open!" A voice spoke sharply from the back. "Our hours are on the sign out front, can't to read..." But he last words trailed off. As she was talking, the older woman had walked out from the back of the store with a broom in hand. And just at the sight alone of the gargoyle, the woman seemed to freeze.

But apperantly not for long considering she held up the broom in a defensive strike and spoke. "You're a-a."

"Please, lass, I mean you know harm." Hudson held up his arms, along with the book. That was what caught your eyes.

"Just a simple book thief then?"

"I'm actually here to return it" he sheepishly admitted.