011. the naming ceremony.

DEATH BY PEN.
♬ — feral love by chelsea wolfe
five years ago

Hiyoko woke up to the cold and desolate room. Her pale skin was covered in bruises. She sighed, turning on the ice cold water. Hiyoko stood in the water, not flinching. She let it run over her body.

Today was the day. She was going to show them what she was worth. She left the room in her uniform, heading toward the living room of the house. Five other girls sat on the red couches, their faces blending together. Everyone had a specific look. Sharp features, athletic builds. Their eyes flashed at Hiyoko.

"Zero is going to perform for us today," a familiar hiss erupted from the corner. Tsubaki put her hands on her hips. Her perfect red hair was pulled into a tight pony tail. She sneered, towering over Hiyoko.

"I won't be Zero anymore," Hiyoko said, her voice wavering. She remembered the day she got to the academy.

Hiyoko didn't come from a wealthy family like most of the other girls. Her quirk caught the attention of the Mistress after she became orphaned. She was a gentle child. One that loved flowers and kittens.

"We'll see about that. You'll always be weak. You'll never be enough. You didn't even have a choice of whether to come here or not," Tsubaki shrugged her shoulders.

The girl approached Hiyoko and pushed her chest. Then pushed harder. "What're you going to do about it? Cry?"

Tsubaki continued pushing Hiyoko, who didn't fight back. "Tsubaki, please. I— I just want to be your friend."

"Friend?!"

Tsubaki slammed Hiyoko into the wall, the picture frames rattling. Hiyoko felt her body slide down the wall, holding up her arms in defense. The wet feeling of spit splattered onto her forehead.

"You're fucking delusional. No one will ever be your friend. Nor will they love you. Because you are a zero."

Hiyoko felt a kick at her side. Tsubaki's heeled shoe dug into the side of her abdomen. She held back tears and dropped her arms, staring up at the girl that viciously bullied her.

"Zero. What a fucking shame."

She felt another kick to her stomach and doubled over on the ground. Hiyoko curled up in the fetal position, clenching her fist. The other girls did nothing.

"Let's go watch this shit show."

At Tsubaki's command, they all got up and left. Hiyoko had a familiar feeling in her chest. The one that filled her with dread. She made her way backstage, getting ready for her performance.

She stared at herself in the mirror. Her eyes were sunken in, her blonde hair becoming stringy. But she was stronger. Stronger than she had ever been.

Taking the stage, Hiyoko looked out at the mostly empty auditorium. The girls sat, smiling and laughing. The mistress sat at the front, crossing her legs. She wasn't smiling. Hiyoko planted her feet.

"Proceed," Hiyoko's Mistress said.

Targets shot up behind her and she whirled around, landing each target perfectly in the bullseye. They pulled up, one by one, and though Hiyoko wasn't super fast, she got them all. On the stage, she put up her hands in fighting stance, preparing for the next onslaught.