CHAPTER THIRTEEN: EVIDENCE

Dan met with Martyn just as it started snowing again, it had stopped for about an hour, just enough time for Dan to hitch a ride down to the house on Washington. He didn't know why Martyn wanted to meet here, the house was on the opposite side of town from the Lester's, how could Martyn have known where his brother went? 

Nonetheless, here he was, standing awkwardly in the driveway that had no cars. The house had become a crime scene: boy gone missing = evil house. The owners have to stay in a hotel downtown, which was very convenient for Dan and Martyn.

"Took you long enough," Martyn said, climbing out of his parked car where he had been hiding in the heat. He joined Dan in the cold, they jumped hip to hip to keep the warmth.

"The roads were icy," Dan said, taking a step closer to the older boy. 

Martyn didn't move away, despite the voices in his brain screaming at him to keep his distance. He couldn't pursue Daniel, he was a high schooler and he was only 17, not to mention he was his brother's boyfriend.

"What are we doing here?" Daniel asked, following after the older boy as he made his way around the house and past the chain-link fence, into the backyard. "This is trespassing."

"No one is around, Dan. No one in their right mind is going to be out here in the cold." Martyn said, turning around and opening his arms to emphasize his point. They were completely and totally alone in the snow.

"Then what are we doing out here? The police already searched the whole damn house." Dan said up to the boy who started making his way to the back of the property.

"You know what they didn't check?" Martyn called back, trudging his way to the treeline that separated the house from the woods. 

"What?"

"Find my iPhone." Martyn smiled, pulling out his phone and tapping on the screen. "It works 24 hours after the battery of the phone has died, and this is the last known location of Phil and his phone." The older boy beamed, proud he finally could contribute something.

Dan's face contorted, not into hope or happiness, but fear. Why was he afraid? Martyn pressed down on his phone and waited for the beeping that would occur if the phone was within earshot. 

Nothing came. No beep, no noise to indicate Phil's cellphone. Martyn frowned, he was sure his plan would work. Then he looked down at his phone, his face breaking out into glee.

"Holy shit!" Martyn yelled as Dan started to jog his way up to him, careful of the slippery snow.

"What?" Dan asked, pale-faced.

"It gave me a map, it found his phone!" The older zoomed in on the map, reading the roads and the path to get there.

"It's across town," Martyn said, making his way back to the car. They froze their asses off for nothing, for a little beep that never came. "Come on, Dan, we have to go!" He grabbed Dan by the wrist and tugged him back to the driveway.

"Follow me, okay?" Martyn said before he climbed into his car. 

Dan slid into the driver's seat and turned on the engine, letting the heat blast him in the face. The phone was located on Mulberry street, the same street where Dan lived.