1 • mal di mare •

"Look deep into nature, and then you will understand everything better." - Albert Einstein

** 1 • mal di mare •

  I stared tiredly out of my classroom window as my Italian professor rambled on about whatever he talks about.

  It looked so bright and warm outside. Like nothing could go wrong.

  Oh boy, how wrong I was

**

  I drop my bag, keys, and homework on my desk and walk to the living room where my brother's watching an episode of 'friends' on Netflix.

  My mother comes rushing in hastily and grabs the remote and switches to the news channel.

  The young woman's voice floods our living room as my mother increases the volume, "There are multiple coastal cities that are now being flooded rapidly as we speak. The following cities are currently underwater: Miami, Florida.. Santa Monica, California.." the woman pauses emotionally, then continues, "Malibu, California.. Galveston, Texas.. Orlando Florida.. San Francisco, California.."

  She continues reading off cities but I couldn't listen anymore. Why are those cities underwater? What's going on?

  I tune back in as she says, "The land is sinking as the ice caps are melting, causing the mass flooding." She pauses once more, "Soon we will all be underwater. All land animals, including humans, will cease to exist. The Earth we know of will soon be a world of only water."

  "And unfortunately, there is a new disease that can be easily passed to another person. Scientists have named it the Mal Di Mare."

  "Clues of this virus are: sea sickness, continuous vomiting, bumps located on the face, and blue skin."

  My mother turns the television off and slowly turns to us and smiles sadly. "I'm sorry this is the world you live in."

----

Published: 1.30.2020
Edited:

i-

oKAy

:^)

-violet

comment, folllow and vote 💙

---