3 • losing people •

"The earth is what we all have in common." - Wendell Berry

A/N: publishing this early cause I have a track meet tomorrow :'D

** 3 • losing people

  "Alaska and the following cities are now completely underwater: Austin, Texas.. New Orleans, Louisiana.. Sacramento, California.. Raleigh, North Carolina.. cont..."

  We've had to switch news channels. The old one is now submerged in the ocean.

  Baton Rouge, Louisiana is now a beach. I mean, they were sinking before but now they're really sinking.

**

  It looks so quiet and rainy outside. The trees are completely still.

  No movement whatsoever.

  It's almost.. peaceful. Like it's drawing you to it. So you can be swallowed up in the sea.

  Lola's lost her aunt and cousin who lives in Austin. She was so different at lunch today. She was the opposite of what she usually is.

  She was quiet.

  It's almost scary to see what losing a family member can do to someone.

  Especially a sister who's done nothing to deserve it.

  My eyes drift closed as I lean my head against the bus' window pane. (A/N those things are nasty)

..

  "Kaya! Hurry downstairs and grab you something to eat before you go!" my mother yells up the stairs.

  I smile to myself as I color away with my crayons on the kitchen table. "Coming!" my older sister rushes down the stairs, dropping her bags at the door, "I was just making sure I had everything." She kisses mom on the cheek.

  "It's fine. You got to make sure you have everything before you go to camp." She hands her a bag full of delicious smelling food, "I packed you some snacks for the ride there."

  Kaya beams. A car honks outside the house, "Thanks mom! I'll call you when we get there!"

  We hug goodbye and she waves as she hops into her friend Riley's car.

~~

  "A highschool bus has swerved off of the south road in Manhattan, Kansas. 5 passengers were instantly killed. Others are in serious condition and are being treated in the hospital as we speak. The following are those who have passed: Thomas Newton.. Kaya Stewart.. Kailey Nguyen.. Jack Martin and Riley Johnson."

  They showed photos of the students who were killed from the impact.

  My mother screamed in horrification when she heard Kaya's name leave the woman's mouth.

  All I did was stand with my mouth hanging ajar with tears down my face.

---

Published: 2.12.2020
Edited:

don't shoot me 😂

i wanted y'all to hear about her sister and what had happened to her in the past so 😅

comment, folllow and vote 💙

- violet

---