4 • strong enough •

"The earth has it's music for those who will listen." - George Santanaya

** 4 • strong enough •

   An automated voice comes over the radio. "Warning. Warning. The water has now increased speed and is coming inland at an alarming rate. Those who live along the beach, climb to high ground and find shelter. Warning. Warning."

  It repeats the message 4 more times.

**

  "So the water is coming in faster. What do you think about that?" Dara chomps on his fries.

  "I think we were all going to die sooner or later. Why not make it early." Emily shrugs and sips her water looking at me.

  Lola slams her hands on the table. "Can we talk about something else other than that stupid water?"

  Emily grins 'innocently', "Why Lola? What happened?"

  Oh my god I want to smack that grin off of her so hard. "Maybe we've talked about it enough, Emily. If you tried to think about what's been going on in Lola's life instead of yours, you'd change the subject when she asks."

  Emily looks taken aback but recovers quickly. "Actually Kendra, I do know what's going on--." I interrupt her, "Then will you have the decency to talk about something else other than that the water is rising? Or are you too shallow for that?" (A/N, oop-- just realized the accidental pun 😂 Kind of a bad one though)

  Emily huffs and walks off to sit at another table for the day. I sit back down and stare daggers into the back of her head.

  "So.." Dara purses his lips.

**

  I walk into my house to see my mother sitting on the coach sadly smiling at a photo of Kaya.

  I hate when she smiles like that. It makes me feel empty.

  "Hey mom, what are you doing?" I softly ask. "Oh, just thinking about Kaya." She looks up. She's been crying.

  "All of this is just so crazy it doesn't seem real.. and I want to know what she was thinking when the bus.." She trails off. I nod my head understanding.

  "Well, you know what she would've said to you if she heard that you're having a rough time?" I sit down next to her taking deep breaths and trying not to cry. I hate crying.

  "What?" her voice cracks subtly.

  "She would've made us a cup of hot cocoa and hugged us and said to be strong and that she'll always love us even if she's gone before either of us." I inhale shakily and continue, "she also would've said that it's all going to be okay. That we're strong enough and brave enough to fight through this."

  A tear slips down my mother's face and mine too. I smile softly and hug her.

---

Published: 2.21.2020
Edited:

that almost made my cry typing that 😅

sorry for the late update

comment, follow and vote 💙

- violet

---