Nine ~ The Ranger

I heard a quiet voice from the shadows.
It spoke in Elvish.
"You must be very special, if you are able to change forms like that. One like you has not been seen for years." The voice was low, and gruff. Quietly whispering to me. I sat up straight and looked around, unable to see the source of the threatening sound.

"Who are you? Come out from the shadows and we'll talk." Suddenly, a man in armour and black fur clothing stepped out from the darkness behind a pillar near me. He looked young, brown messy hair and a slightly stubbly face, though he had his hood up which covered his face above his chin. The man walked slowly towards me and sat in the place Thorin had just been. "Who are you?" I asked again.
Quick as lightning I had a knife to my throat.

"I am a Ranger from the North. I was brought up in Rivendell, same as you. You left to go adventuring and you have forgotten me already. I am amazed, Valia." I gasped.

"Take down your hood please." The man removed his hood and the knife from my throat. Aragorn. He was brought up with me in Rivendell and we are around the same age. He is in his 20's as am I. His parents were killed and he had nowhere to go, just like me. Aragon, son of Arathorn. He was never much of a friend as he used to keep to himself. I just stayed out of his way the entire time.

"Valia. Why have you come back, with a company of dwarves? One of which, is the great, Thorin Oakenshield."

"We are on a quest. One which I will not tell you of." I sneered and in a second the knife was back on my neck. I pushed my head back and swallowed, scared of what Aragorn would do.

"You will tell me, or the last Night Walker will be no more."

"What's wrong with you, Aragorn? Why the sudden knife to me, we were never against each other while we stayed here." As I said his name, his hand fell from my throat and he looked down as if he felt ashamed.

"I am so sorry. I didn't remember you were so disarmingly good with words." The smallest of smiles was on his cheeks. I frowned at him. Confused by his sudden change of heart.

"Why are you here, Aragorn?"

"I was looking for you and I thought our home would be a good place to start."

"You were looking for me?"

"Yes." He got up and started pacing around slowly, looking down at me. I shifted under his intense gaze.

"Why?"

"I've been told that I need to help you. The Shifter will cross your path and confront you. However, there was no mention of dwarves."

"I joined them as a last minute thing. I was desperate for adventure and one of the dwarves offered I join them."

"I see. So you were desperate for adventure?"

"Yes."

"Have you found it?"

"I believe I have, yes." He turned away from me and started slowly wandering around

"You saw me changing."

"Yes, but we'll discuss that later with Elrond."
We stopped talking and Aragorn lent me a hand. Gingerly, I placed my hand in his and he hauled me up to my feet so forcefully, I fell into his chest and he wrapped his free arm around me. I gasped and pushed myself back from him. He was only about 5 years older than me but a minute ago he'd held a dagger to my throat.

"Sorry." I cleared my throat.

"What are you sorry for, Valia?" Every time he said my name I shivered a little, but not out of fear.