Special Needs

(This is a part of the story that I've always wanted to keep, so I hope you enjoy! Also, please note that I am not at my greatest mental health currently, which is not helping my writing skills. I hope it's still good to read!)

Louie's POV

7-year-olds

3 days later

"You found a school?!" I bounced up and down, barely containing myself. Huey was grinning next to me.  

"Yes, it is only 10 minutes from here. Duckburg elementary." Donald smiled at us. "You will start attending 2 days from now so tomorrow we will go shopping for supplies, then we will tour the school." 

"Thank you, thank you, thank you!" Huey grabbed my arm and dragged me away from Uncle Donald. He guided me into our bedroom where Dewey still slept. "Dewey?" Huey whispered, pushing him. He sat up quickly, his eyes wide in alarm.

"What? Where is... oh. What's up?" He asked while pushing his blue covers off of him.

"We are going to school! Uncle Donald found us a school!" I jumped onto his bed and started bouncing on it. Dewey grinned at me, his once upset eyes changing into excited ones.

"Really? Nice! Why didn't you two wake me up?" He asked, hopping off his bed. Huey and I were already changed into our normal clothes but Dewey wasn't. He threw off his grey pajama shirt and got into his normal two-colored blue outfit.

"I don't know, you were kicking and shifting around a lot. I thought you might need more sleep so I left you alone." Huey shrugged, grabbing his tablet. I moved down onto my bed, adjusting the pillows so I could lay comfortably on them.

"I was?" I heard Dewey mumble. I looked over to him, watching play with the ends of his dark blue t-shirt. He was hiding something... it was pretty obvious. As much as I want to teach Dewey how to lie, it's much easier to know when he is. Why would we keep secrets from each other anyway?

"Dewey..." I started. The tone of my voice made both Huey and Dewey look at me. "what's wrong? You can tell us, you can trust us." Huey's eyes adverted to a now shaking Dewey.

"I... why did mom have to go out that night? I know neither of you remember, but I do, and it's tearing me apart." Dewey sighed, shaking his head. Huey and I looked at each other. We didn't remember, and it was quite surprising Dewey did, but I don't think he has the whole story right.

"Maybe she... I don't know Dew. All we know for sure is she isn't here." Huey spoke up first. Dewey stared at him for a minute, his eyes studying Huey's face. Huey and Dewey never agreed on everything, but I don't see what Dewey could fight about this time.

"I..." Dewey huffed a little. "yea you're right. I'm going to walk on the dock." Dewey rushed out of our room, closing the door quietly behind him.

"He just doesn't have the story right. No way could he remember something from 3 years ago. Something is missing in this story, but we can't figure it out." Huey said, sighing.

"But... what if he does? Come on Huey, Dewey might not have the best memory, but this seems... I don't know. Can you just not fight, please? I don't want to have to take sides." I asked.

"We aren't ever going to split up Louie, no way. Nothing can tear us apart, not even life itself." Huey smiled at me before walking out of the room. He didn't close the door, so I watched him walk down the short hallway. And as I watched him, I couldn't be so sure life couldn't tear us apart.

Next Day

"Okay boys, we need to be on our best behavior. If the principal doesn't think you are good children, he won't let you go there." Donald said as he parked the car in the school's parking lot. The school was huge, way bigger than I expected. No one else was here since it was a Sunday except a few cars parked in slots with signs that read, "Employees only".