A New Face

Dewey's POV

Monday Morning, 7:30 AM

"Boys! Hurry up! I want you there early!" Donald yelled from outside our bedroom door. Normally Huey and Louie were waiting on me, but today I had gotten up bright and early. Ok, I'm a little mad I don't get class with Huey and Louie, but my class sounds so fun! We still have to do math, reading, and all that stuff, but we also do fun games! 

Also, yes, I know I have ADHD. And yes, that looks bad for my case for remembering what happened to my mom. But if there is one thing I have remembered for my whole life, it's my mom's death. Also, mitochondria are the powerhouse of the cell, but that is beside the point.

"Coming!" I yelled back, trying to buy Louie sometime. Huey was ready now and both of us were watching Louie struggle to pick out of the same colored hoodies he wears every day. "Just pick one! They all look the same!" I groaned.

"No, they don't! My favorite hoodie isn't here and I haven't worn it for 3 weeks! I guess I'll have to settle for my second favorite..." Louie sighed, acting as if this was a tragedy. He pulled on the green hoodie then grabbed his black backpack. I opened our door, letting Huey and Louie run through. I followed them up the stairs, onto the deck. Donald was waiting in the car, his eyes focused on us as we ran across the ramp connecting the dock and our houseboat.

"Sorry, Louie was having a wardrobe malfunction." Huey apologized as soon as all three of us were in the car.

"Was not!" Louie shoved Huey, knocking him into me. I shoved Huey back, forcing him into Louie. 

"Boys! If this is how you are behaving in the car with me, how can I trust you will behave well in school?" We all quieted as Uncle Donald's words, all of us staring out of different windows. "Please behave in school, or I will have no choice to take you out."

"Sorry Uncle Donald," Huey, Louie, and I said at the same time. We all gave each other looks but said nothing else.

The drive to the school seemed to take a lifetime. Louie's fingers tapped against the door, the sound filling the silent car. Normally I would tell him to stop, but I, for one, didn't want to get in trouble, and two, I was too excited for the day ahead of us. Learning isn't my thing, but the school seemed to make it look fun.

When we finally arrived in the school parking lot, I was shocked by the number of kids waiting outside. Everyone seemed to separate into groups either by grade or gender. There were kids bigger than me and then kids smaller than me. 

"Ok boys, go to the office, get your locker numbers then go find them. I'll be parked around here when school is out, so just come and find me. Be nice and safe, okay?" We all nodded absentmindedly, all of our attention focused on the school and kids surrounding it. I opened my door and stepped out of the car. I didn't even wait for Huey or Louie, I just started walking towards the big school doors. Some kids glanced at me but most ignored me, too involved in their conversations to pay attention.

"Wait up Dewey!" I heard Louie yell from behind me. I stood by the school's doors and watched Huey and Louie climb up the steps to get to the doors. I pulled open the door, letting them in first. We all walked into the office together and inside stood 2 girls and Principal Wings.

"Boys! So glad you could make it!" Principal Wings smiled at us. "These two girls will be helping you set up your lockers and will show you to your rooms. This is Gianna Plovercrest, she is a 5th grader, and Webbigail Vanderquack, she is a 2nd grader just like you three." Both girls smiled. Gianna was a hummingbird and had her long hair down. Webbigail was a duck just like us and she had nice, short hair with a pink bow.