0 7 | f r i e n d s

Song of the chapter: July by Noah Cyrus

☙❦❧

JACKSON was peacefully walking towards his locker before a small body rushed towards her new friend in excitement.

"He asked me out!" she screamed in his ear as she engulfed him in her harmless hug. Jackson chuckled at her antics before prying her off him.

"Congrats," he said as he smiled down at Delilah's beautiful face. It was a stab in the heart knowing the girl he had taken an interest in was basically taken by one of his best friends.

It made him feel like shit. Plus the fact that every girl he ever took an interest in always took an interest in Jasper.

It was only fitting that Delilah did too. He scoffed to himself internally. This is what he got for just being the average guy out there. Guys like Jasper take all the good ones.

"What did you do to make him ask me out?" Delilah piped up interrupting Jackson's thoughts.

He shrugged his shoulders. "Absolutely nothing. I told him that you and I thought we'd be better off as friends and he jumped at the opportunity to ask you out."

Delilah squealed again as she giddily stood beside Jackson. Soon enough, they noticed Adelaide and Parker walk towards them animatedly.

"Oh how was the date?!" Adelaide excitedly asked when she got close enough to the two of them.  

Jackson frowned. He had expected Delilah to have already told Adelaide.

"Oh we uh decided we'd be better off as friends," she responded, nudging Jackson in the process.

Oh god was she just rubbing her beauty in his face? She was taunting him with the fact that he could never have this incredibly perfect girl in his arms ever again.

Almost immediately, Adelaide frowned. "Oh," was her only response to Delilah's statement as Jasper finally showed up. He stood beside Delilah, a little too close for Jackson's liking but he bit his tongue to stop himself from snapping at Jasper.

It wasn't his place to tell his best friend to stay away from the girl he liked. Especially if said girl also liked Jasper back.

Jackson tried with all his might to seem okay, but eventually let himself sneak a glare at the close proximity between Delilah and Jasper. He quickly averted his eyes only to meet the piercing stare of one Adelaide Elswood. She watched him with curious eyes and his own eyes widened in accord. Offering her a smile, he quickly looked away.

Adelaide frowned at what she had just seen. She looked back at Delilah who was talking to Jasper. Then there was Jasper who was standing extremely close to Delilah.

She watched the whole exchange before letting her eyes travel back to Jackson who had quieted down and suddenly become somber.

Before she could stop herself, Adelaide spoke loudly enough for the group to hear. "Jackson and I have to leave to finish a project before it's due tomorrow."

The lie easily slipped past her mouth as she grabbed Jackson's arm and pulled him away before he could protest. When they were far enough, Jackson took his arm back from the girl who had stolen it and he pouted at her jokingly.

"We don't share any classes so please do tell me what project we must finish by tomorrow?"

Adelaide rolled her eyes. "What's going on between Jasper and Delilah?"

His eyes widened at her unfiltered personality. "Uh they like each other?"

Adelaide nodded her head knowingly. "And is that what made you decide you and Delilah were better off as friends?"

The tone in her voice told him that she called his bullshit. "Look," he sighed. "She told me they kissed and I put two and two together. He's talked about her before and she clearly likes him. I'm just not gonna be that guy to get in the middle of it."

As he explained his predicament, the fire in Adelaide's eyes died down as she looked at him with sympathy. "But you also like her," she stated. "Does she know?"

Jackson shrugged. "It doesn't matter what she knows. She likes him. He likes her. It's as simple as that. They want each other. They can have each other."

"What about you Jackson? What about what you want?"

Adelaide's words made him pause for a moment. He had asked himself that question many times over the weekend. In the end his response was always the same.

He shook his head. "It doesn't matter what I want. Because it's not what Delilah wants."

Knowing the conversation had ended, Adelaide sighed. She felt extremely bad for the boy in front of her. He did nothing wrong and still ended up hurt.

"Okay," she mumbled as she turned to walk away from him. Before she left however, she spoke once more.

"For what it's worth Jackson, I think you would've made the better option."

He raised his head and made eye contact with Adelaide. She smiled at him softly before walking away.

Yeah, he thought to himself, if only Delilah had chosen the better option.

☙❦❧

I just got out of my job orientation so you know what that means.... another chapter!

I love Jackson. So pure. So precious. Can we agree to just love him unconditionally?

Thanks!

Enjoy and comment and vote guys! I love you all! Xx.

~ Shay