6. Sweet Intervention

The twins were sitting comfortably in their car seats with Austin sitting in the middle seat. They laughed at the funny faces he was pulling. Lauren felt an overwhelming sense of joy as she saw her son's shining smile in the mirror. It had been a long time since he showed any emotion that wasn't rooted in despair. He spent most of his time in his room, playing video games and just ignoring the outside world. And when she'd force him down to eat, he'd come down looking overly exhausted, not only physically, but his feelings were written on his face. This had caused Lauren to grow increasingly worried but she hadn't been too sure about what to do. Although, she knew that there were only four people in the world that would have him in a blissful mood. If that was true for his happiness, then they could just as well be responsible for his despair.

One of them, he hadn't mentioned since he started feeling crappy. The other, he wouldn't come back with the same glow as in the past. Lauren knew that those two wouldn't have been the best choices to fix his mood again. But she knew that the other two were perfect to bring him out of his mood. They were undeniably cute, their energy was infectious and they weren't old enough to say any words that could possibly cause Austin to feel miserable. So, she arranged for them to be brought to her early Saturday morning so they could spend the morning with their uncle. And as soon as they got to her house, she immediately saw the effect that they had on Austin. His face lit up, and his shoulders were resting easy as if the load of the hurt he was carrying seemed to be lifted off him. As soon as he was distracted by the adorableness of the twins, Lauren practically shoved them all in the car and drove towards the beach.

Lauren didn't know, nor did she ask, what was going on with Kaden and her son. She had always felt that if she dug too deep into their friendship, without Austin initiating the conversation, she may open Pandora's box. But a part of her had always wished that Austin would come home and tell her that something happened with him and Kaden. Ever since meeting the soft-spoken Kaden, she instantly grew an instant soft spot for him. Lauren was well aware of Kaden's 'beyond friendship' love for Austin and had thought it was sweet, but she grew some great concern for him being satisfied with the little he got back from her son. But as much as she wanted to say something, she couldn't.

She at least could talk about all of it with Diane, and of course, she also had the same made-up scenarios they would chat over on their lunch dates and phone calls. It was the recent call, though, that she learned that Kaden had been getting closer to a guy. That had made sense of Austin's mood to Lauren. However, she couldn't tell whether Austin was feeling down about Kaden not having as much time for him anymore or if he was distraught that Kaden was giving his adoration and affection to someone else. What was certain was that neither one of them haf been talking to one another, and it was leaving them sour. Well, Austin at least. His relationship with Rachel had been growing rocky. It was as if when he and Kaden's relationship stood still, his relationship with Rachel also came to a pause. But it also seemed like his whole life just paused too. She was concerned it might affect much more if it went on further with no intervention. And she had come up with the perfect way to intervene without being too involved. She smiled at him in the mirror, as she made way to the calvary waiting at the beach.

XXX

Austin was delighted when he saw Bea sitting in her wheelchair under the umbrella, next to the dessert truck. He hadn't seen her since she had her slip and was ordered to be on bed rest indefinitely. She seemed just as thrilled to see him. She reached out her arms to him, and he gladly went in for the hug.

'Oh, I've missed you, Bea.' Austin squeezed Bea's back.

'One half of my favorite duo,' Bea giggled as Austin pulled away. 'It's great to see you, Porcupine.'

Austin pursed his lip tightly and shut his eyes to keep himself from blushing, but it was too late. Not only did his cheeks go red, but his ears and neck also seemed to go red as well. Bea had given him that nickname when he and Kaden were little. She thought of him just like a porcupine. He was too cute for words, and to those he loved, incredibly loving and warm. But just like the creature, when threatened, Austin would sting hard at those who he felt threatened by in any way.