11. Journey of Miles

They were sitting in the back of the Jeep. Neither one uttered a word since they left school. Not even when they stopped at the grocery store, where Kaden got bags of peas for Austin's swollen eye and bruised hand. They stayed silent when they got to the beach and moved to the back. They just watched the waves crash, the people walk by and the seagulls fighting over pieces of fallen food. Both of them didn't want to be the first to talk.

Kaden's eyes fixed on Austin removing the peas off his face. The swelling around his eye was better but still quite noticeable. He let out a breath as he tossed the peas to the side. 'I can't believe you drove. You hate driving.'

This was true. Kaden found driving to be an anxiety invoking activity, which was odd because, for a teenager who had troubling anxiety, he was quite an impressive driver. When he got his license, the instructor noted that he was one of the best drivers she'd ever instructed. He was that good. But he couldn't stand being on the road. The reason why Kaden hated driving was other drivers. The ones who wouldn't even attempt to follow any of the road rules. The ones who reverse without checking their mirrors. The ones who stop an inch behind the car. The ones who break out of nowhere. The parkers who leave cars parked the same way toddlers sleep. The swearing ones who ignore their turn just to go on a fuck-athon for a few miles. And the impatient ones with two-second-honka-gitis. They were the reason why Kaden preferred being driven.

Even Kaden's parents knew not to get him a car for his past birthday because they knew he'd see it as a giant anxiety enabling machine. That was how he describe it whenever Austin would try to get him to drive his car. He would protest with jokes and just get in the passenger seat.

However, when he saw Austin trying not to limp as they walked to the car and then seeing him try not to show any pain when he opened the door, Kaden didn't even think twice about it. He moved to the driver's side and forced Austin to get in on the other side. It was one of the few times Kaden took his fears head-on.

'I know,' Kaden replied. 'I think seeing you hurt made driving seem like nothing, I guess.'

Silence fell between them again.

'Thank you.'

Austin hung his head and tried touching his eye. 'For what, Kades? I acted like a moron today. You should be demanding an apology, not thanking me.'

'For Miles,' Kaden said quietly as he turned his head to face Austin.

As soon as Austin looked at Kaden's face, a horrified, guilty look appeared on his face. He reached his hand to Kaden's cheek. He gently tried touching it, which caused Kaden to flinch a bit. Kaden hadn't felt much pain on his face earlier on, but Austin's touch did cause a bit of a sting. And by judging the look on Austin's face, Kaden assumed his face was pretty puffy too.

'I'm okay,' Kaden said with a weak smile. But he noticed that it wasn't making Austin feel any better.

Austin's nose was crinkled and his eyes were nowhere close to dry. He wrapped his arm around Kaden. 'I promise you that is the last time I hurt you, physically and emotionally.' He rested his chin on Kaden's shoulder. 'I'm sorry.'

Kaden brushed Austin's hair. 'You didn't hit me on purpose.' He kissed Austin's head. 'You wouldn't hurt a fly unless that fly was bullying another fly. Don't beat yourself about it.'

'I have to.' Austin raised his head off Kaden and looked him in the eye. 'I don't want to be that way around you. Much less hurt you too because I can't control myself.' He looked away and started brushing his wounded hand. 'If the team didn't rip me and Mo off each other, and if he didn't point out that you were gone, I hate to think about how Miles would have treated you.'