12

I drift in and out our consciousness. Sometimes I can hear people, sometimes I can't. The air around me is warm, and the surface I'm lying on is soft. Everything smells sort of salty, and I can sometimes taste the hot soup they feed me.

One day, I open my eyes. Minho sits in a chair next to my bed, his chin resting on his chest.

"Minho?" I say, my voice a little croaky. His head snaps up and he looks around wildly before laying eyes on me.

"(Y/N)?" he asks, and I nod. "Oh my god, don't you ever scare us like that again!"

"Trust me," I groan, swinging my legs over the side of the bed and sitting up, "I'm not planning on it."

"How're you feeling?" he asks, and I touch my shoulder, wincing.

"Ok, how long have I been out?"

"A week," he says. I raise my eyebrows. "(Y/N)," he leans forwards, "we're at the Safe Haven."

Suddenly I remember. Newt's blood on my hands, the pain of the bullet wound, his fingers digging into my back, the black fluid dripping from his lips.

"Newt..." I whisper, tears springing to my eyes.

Minho looks down, not meeting my eyes.

"I killed him," I say, "I loved him so much, and I stabbed him in the chest. I promised I'd save him, and I killed him."

"(Y/N)..." Minho moves to sit next to me on the bed, putting an arm around my shoulders. "You can't blame yourself, that wasn't Newt."

"If I'd been faster..." I sob, but he stops me.

"No, no it wasn't you. It wasn't anyone's fault, it was the Flare."

"I could have given him my blood, gotten Teresa to make a cure from me..."

"No, (Y/N), no. The virus was too fast for us, we couldn't have done anything."

"That's not true, I could have saved him, I should have been faster, I should have been stronger and just kept going, but I couldn't carry him..."

"(Y/N), you got shot!" Minho says, "You were bleeding out when we got to you, there was no way you could have pushed through that."

I don't say anything, just cry into his shoulder.

Brenda catches me up on what happened that night as we eat dinner around the fire. My eyes are sore and puffy from crying, and my shoulder hurts, but I'm ok.

"What's the rock?" I ask Thomas, sitting next to me.

"It's for them," he says, "everyone we lost."

"Is Newt...?"

"We wanted to wait for you," Minho interrupts, gazing out at the sea. And just like that, I'm crying again.

"You know," Brenda says softly, "he really loved you."

"I know," I sob, "I know."

"Brenda..." Thomas says, placing a hand on my shoulder.

"It's ok," I wipe my eyes, "just let me pull myself together, I'm ok." It takes a lot of sniffling and wiping of eyes, but eventually I get myself sorted out.

"You alright?" Minho asks, and I nod. I stand up, the others following as I make my way down to the rock on the beach.

Chuck, Alby, Mary, Winston, Teresa.

I swallow, picking up a chisel resting beside the log and scratching Newt's name in a blank space. I step back, looking at it. Thomas squeezes my good shoulder, and I look up at him. He has tears in his eyes.

"(Y/N)," Thomas says after everyone else has gone to bed.

"Yeah?" I turn away from the rock, facing him.

"You remember when Newt gave me his necklace?" I nod, and he continues. "Well there was a piece of paper in it, a letter, from him." He reaches down and takes something from his pocket, sitting down on the sand and patting a spot next to him. I sink down beside him.

"There are two pages, one addressed to you, and one for me." He hands me a piece of yellowed paper, and I carefully smooth it over my legs.

I read that letter as the last glow of the fire fades behind us. As the stars shine down above, twinkling brightly in the velvet sky and the waves lap against the shore. I can hear it in Newt's voice, like he's speaking the words to me, sitting on my other side just like on Thomas's first night in the Glade. Finally I finish, a lump of emotion gathering in my throat.

"Thanks, Thomas," I choke out, folding Newt's letter back up and putting it in my pocket.

Thomas doesn't say anything, just gently puts an arm around me.