Chapter Two: Breathe

Nothing on the ruined ship they were found in, either, Jay thought, scowling as she stared at her notes, How can something be destroyed beyond recognition? They act like they can do such great things, yet ship engineers can't even recognize a part...

Nothing on the ruined ship they were found in, either, Jay thought, scowling as she stared at her notes, How can something be destroyed beyond recognition? They act like they can do such great things, yet ship engineers can't even recognize a part of a ship?!

She pushed her chair away from the desk, jabbing her claw into the monitor's power button almost too hard, causing the monitor to wobble as she pulled away. The chair slid backwards with a slight rotation, the frustrated cyborg watching as grey floors and painted white metal walls turned around her. The decor felt almost dead in her eyes, quiet and unassuming, as inexpressive as the management would have its employees being were they able to fully control them. She got up, grabbing her clipboard and heading out the door to return to her patient.

Jora sat at the immaculate grey table next to his medical pod, casually spinning on the stool as his eyes gazed around the painfully dull interior of his hospital room. Sterile, bleached white walls met grey floors that managed to express such little personality that scholars could debate could actually be defined as a personality trait in and of itself. Thick metal pipes stood upright along the walls, bending only around corners or inwards to expose air vents to the rest of the room, keeping both temperature and air pressure at a perfect sweet spot for optimal doctor comfort and, perhaps, giving patients minor chills during standard checkups. Any fabric present on the few pieces of furniture present was a slightly desaturated pastel blue that Jora, personally, didn't care too much for - though it wasn't like he had much say in the matter, helpless to be stuck in a room with such tasteless decor. As he began to wish for the return of his doctor, however, he was alerted to a knock on his door. Stumbling on his bad hip, he rushed to the door, throwing himself against it to push it open, intending to hold it open for whoever wanted to come in.

"Hah... Hah. Sorry," He said, turning to whoever knocked expecting to see Jay.

But it wasn't Jay who would be meeting him at the door today. Instead, before him stood a very different looking protogen, one who he did not remember ever meeting. This one had grey fur, and golden lights in its visor forming a face that leaned somewhere between a scowl and simple lack of expression. Their chest featured a miniature terminal, buzzing with information in a peculiar foreign language that Jora had never seen before. While Jora was certainly literate and able to make out the different symbols on the machine's display, the language itself was something quite removed from anything he had known. Furthermore, the stranger wore a dark colored cap, and a long, dark coat was almost integrated to their body.

Jora took a step back from the stranger, watching as a floating metal arm took his place in holding the door open for them. They certainly looked more mechanical than Jay had, even their aquatic tail being mostly synthetic materials and glowing golden lights. The scowling face shifted to Jora, then gazed about the empty room before the peculiar individual spoke in a rather deep voice.

"I was told Jay was in here," The strange individual standing before Jora spoke, a tone reflecting disappointment - if anything at all.

 "I take it she's stepped out for a bit?"