43. A Sea of Lilies and a Fight

Shifra's POV
As we sailed further and further we talked less and less. We grew more excited, but it was not the sort of excitement that causes one to swell and need to speak. One day when I was up on deck with the Lord Drinian and Caspian, I heard Caspian ask, "My Lord, what do you see ahead?"

"Sire, I see whiteness. All along the horizon from north to the south, as far as my eyes can reach," Drinian replied. I returned my gaze to the water, agreeing with him. It was indeed shockingly bright, but I felt a now almost familiar tug on my heart towards it. I flew down to the sea of white and scooped them up in my arms.

"Casp," I said in a low voice, for I had not felt like speaking at full volume for a long time. He looked to me and the blooming flowers in my arms. "They're just lilies." A few days after this discovery, Caspian called a meeting with all every person on the ship.

"Now," Caspian said when we had all gathered, a strange look looming in his eyes, "We have now fulfilled the quest on which you embarked. You shall all receive the rewards you were promised and Trumpkin, Doctor Cornelius, and General Shifra must be the ones to decide who shall be the next king..."

"But, sire," interrupted Drinian, "are you abdicating?"

"I am going with Reepicheep to see the world's end," explained Caspian. "We will take the boat," He continued, but before he could say more Edmund interrupted.

"Caspian," he said suddenly and sternly, "you can't do this."

"Most certainly his majesty cannot," Reep added on.

"No indeed," said Drinian.

"Can't?" said Caspian sharply, looking for a moment not unlike his uncle Miraz.

"Begging your majesties pardon," Rynelf replied, "but if one of us did the same it would be called deserting."

"You presume too much on your long service Rynelf," Caspian countered, looking more and more like Miraz every moment.

"No, he is perfectly right," I said, my voice as sharp as glass.

"By the mane of Aslan," said Caspian, "I had thought you were all my subjects here, not my schoolmasters."

"I'm not," retorted Edmund, "and I say you can't do this."

"Can't again," said Caspian briskly, "What do you mean? I am the king of Narnia, I can do as I please." My right eye brow shot up at his words. I was seeing far too much of his uncle in his face.

"Caspian!" I shouted, striding toward him, "As your friend and General I say you cannot do this. What about your people! What about Narnia?"

Looking back at me, he replied coldly, "General as you may be, you are still my subject and under my command. I command you to not question me. As your king I command it." Everyone drew in a breath. Caspian had never dared to speak to me in that way no matter how angry he had ever gotten.

"I am no subject of yours," I replied, my tone a little more than icy, "I am not just a general. I am a goddess and Second in Command to Aslan. Have you forgotten that there is still one over you Caspian?" His hand fell to his sword hilt.

"Are you threatening me, General?" he asked in a low, deep voice. "Because if you are, I have grounds for your execution."

"Execution?" I asked, amusement lacing my tone. I smirked as I continued, "I should like to see you try to have me killed, sire." The rest of the ship was still and tense. None of them had seen Caspian and I act anything less than friendly to one another, yet here we were in a stare down, Caspian's hand resting on his sword hilt.