Beyond the Rings: chapter nine

If Dominica hadn't called her Cosimia was sure that she would've kept on circling forever. She felt like she could stay up here in the rings forever.

"I'll make a circle, then you can go, got it Cosi?" Dominica's voice crackled through the speakers in the pod.

"Got it," Cosimia replied distractedly. Cosimia bit her lip as she watched two rocks collide with each other, the rubble flying off. Something didn't fit. Cosimia had always been taught that the rings were almost impossible to move through but there were so many large gaps here in the rings. Cosimia could guarantee that one of the bigger vessels could fly easily through the rings. Cosimia frowned as she twirled her electric blue hair around her gloved finger. Why would the instructors tell them that you couldn't travel through? There was no danger in the cosmos, at least not indirectly. Sure, every planet had some dangerous parts but overall it was relatively safe, especially for a 10th year. Cosimia forced the wishful thinking out of her head. She was the Huntress now- she had no time to be pondering about insignificant thoughts.

What if it isn't insignificant? A small voice whispered inside her head. She sighed as Dominica's pod came into view.

"Your turn. It looks clear." Without bothering to reply, Cosimia turned the jet around and followed the floating debris around the rings. She had to find a way to somehow stop the Unbalance from happening and that couldn't happen inside Saturnus. She gripped onto the cushioned levers as she pushed the pod to go faster. She couldn't wait any longer. She had to convince Mother that this was of the utmost importance. Cosimia questioned whether it was really possible to leave the rings and had for so, so long, but being up here showed her that it was possible. Cosimia knew that she couldn't do this alone. But bringing her friends into this would make them subjects to the punishment for disobeying orders. And Cosimia definitely didn't want to cause them harm, especially not at her expense. But what other choice did she have?