15) Tragic

The Capitol is a beautiful, yet horrible, place. There are many gorgeous buildings dotting the mountain skyline, most of them different. But somehow, they all seem to go together. None of them looks out of place. 

When we got out of the tunnel, we were immediately greeted by Capitol citizens yelling and waving to us from the streets. David waved back, smiling at all of them. When he saw I wasn't waving (I was just smiling), he took our interlocked hands and put them up in the air. He was waving his, so it looked like we were both waving.

"What are you doing?" I hiss, barely moving my lips.

"Look likable, remember?" He hisses back,still waving our hands.

"Yes, but you're showing... Us." Us. A lie.

"So? Makes us more likable. Tragic."

Capitol citizens amaze me. They like things they shouldn't. They like these horrible Games. They like betting on who's going to live or die. They like most Careers. They like tragic love stories like these. 

I think that David's story is the saddest of all. He loves someone who will never love him back. He loves someone who lies to him. He loves the wrong person. There are many girls I know who would be ecstatic if David liked them. They'd be the happiest girls in Panem. 

But it had to be me, Hailey, the girl who doesn't appreciate it. The girl who doesn't feel the same way. The girl who will never feel the same way. The girl who used to hate him. The girl who lied to him.