34) An Old Married Couple

"What the hell?" I ask, kneeling next to him.

"I didn't know it was you! The blanket was on your face! I'm so-"

"It's fine." I insist, "Did I break your nose?"

"I think so." He replies, and then he touches his nose. He winces. "Not completely, but almost."

"I'm sorry. Let me go find Willow and-"

"No! Let me! You're hurt." He says, pointing at the blood trailing down the center of my chest.

"It's nothing. And she might kill you if you walk up to her randomly." I argue, standing up.

"Fine. But I'm-"

"No, you're not coming with me. I'll be right back." I tell him, walking out of the bedroom. "Willow?" I call quietly, walking toward the bedroom she was searching. "What?" She asks, appearing in the doorway of the bathroom.

"It's okay. There's no one else here. Except for.... Well..."

"There's someone else here? Where? Did you kill them? Is that why you're bleeding?" She asks, breaking out of her usual dreamy voice and into a panicked one.

"No! I found David. Well, David found me and tried to kill me, and I tried to kill him, but then we realized... He's in the other bedroom, I almost broke his nose."

"Did he stab you?" She asks, following me to the bedroom.

"It's not deep." I insist, opening the door.

"So you must be Willow Black." David says with a smile when we walk inside and kneel next to him.

"Yes." Willow says simply. "Hailey, we should use your first aid kit..."

"Oh!" I say, pulling it off of my shoulder, "I almost forgot." I open up the box, surveying the contents. It's a very nice first aid kit, with plenty of supplies. But who knows how long it'll last in this place?

I give David some gauze for his nose, and I give myself some too. I use the alcohol to clean it, and it stings. "Ouch." I mumble.

"I'm-" David starts to say against the gauze, but I stop him.

"I know." I reply, and then I finish cleaning my wound. It's the size of my thumb, and probably three-quarters of an inch deep. I put a small band-aid on it, and then I turn to David, who's trying to stop his nose from bleeding by putting the gauze I gave him in front of it. "Here, let me help." I say, "I know an old trick to make it stop." I pinch the middle of his nose, right where the veins are.

"Ouch!" He says, trying to push my hand away.

"Would you rather bleed out?" I ask him.

"No."

"Then let me do this."

"You two are like an old married couple." Willow remarks, staring at us.

David and I laugh, which causes David to bleed even more, which makes me scold him. I guess we are like an old married couple.